View Poll Results: How Much did you learn from the videos?
From cast on to bind off - I learned it all here 50 30.86%
Knew very basics... videos got me moving! 55 33.95%
Knew beginner stuff, videos helped me with advanced techniques 41 25.31%
Pretty much had it all down, used videos to refresh my memory, but learned a new skill or two 14 8.64%
Naw, I am an old pro! I came here for the company 0 0%
Huh, Amy has videos?!?!?! 2 1.23%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #51
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

her videos are the best resource ..I recommend to all my friends who knit or hope to,

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #52
Ryan
Ribbing the Cuff

A HUGE thank you for Amy's Videos! Starting out as a closeted knitter, I was suprised at just how bad the knitting vids on youtube were, sloppy camera work or no close ups. Amy's vids are awesome and best of all they are free and well organized. I'm for sure I would have given up long ago if not for them.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #53
Marria
Working the Gusset

New things I learned from this site were the Russian join, cable cast on and how to make a one row buttonhole (and all these techniques are awesome!) I originally came here, though, after doing an internet search on how to wrap a short row because I had totally forgotten. And then I discovered the forums and how friendly and non-snarky everyone here is. So I've stuck around since.

ETA:

I also meant to say that although I was familiar with a lot of the increase and decrease methods, the idea of having one big knitted piece demonstrating all of them along with the videos is a brilliant idea. It really allows you to compare them.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis

Last edited by Marria : 02-20-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #54
Dimpledapple
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Marria View Post
I also meant to say that although I was familiar with a lot of the increase and decrease methods, the idea of having one big knitted piece demonstrating all of them along with the videos is a brilliant idea. It really allows you to compare them.
I agree! Juxtaposing the different methods made it a lot easier to learn and retain the information
Dimpledapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #55
Mrowcat
Casting On

Off and on for years now, I've wanted to learn to knit. I finally decided that it was now or never. All I can say is I'm so glad I came here first.

Casting on and the knit stitch came pretty easily, but I had to watch the purl video over and over before I finally got it. And I have to agree about being able to watch the videos repeatedly versus learning from a person. The only knitter I know is an aunt who I might see once a week for a couple of hours.
Mrowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #56
newamy
Working the Gusset

I always tell people I learned to knit on line. I did have someone show me at first but when I got home and tried again was all mixed up. Googled Knitting help and here I am. I learned everything I know here or from other on line sources. Once I understood the process I now "get" descriptions and illustrations in books. I've never taken a class. In fact classes at my LYS sound too easy. And I'm a bit intimidated to take a more advanced class some where...suppose I have all kinds of bad habits??? Anyway I've done dish cloths, socks, sweaters, simple lace and cables, simple stranding. I know there is lots I haven't tried yet. But I also know I can knit more and better than someone who has knit the same all their lives and never looked into classes or on line sources or tried new things.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #57
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I learned casting on (sort of ) and the knit stitch before finding KnittingHelp. I went to a group that met weekly, and when I got stuck, rather than waiting a week to figure out what to do next, I came here. Spent HOURS watching and re-watching the videos...and they really gave me confidence and direction. I would pretty much attribute my knitting skills to what I learned here!

Thanks, Amy!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #58
losnana
Working the Gusset

Although I've knit more than a dozen pairs of socks, I still do the kitchener stitch toes in front of Amy's video - every single toe!!