Old 06-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Quietheart
1st Leg of the Journey

Pattern Help please..
This is what I am working on: http://www.livejournal.com/community...rs/110889.html

Other than having some difficulty casting on a small # to size 16 needles for the smallest size (I cast on very loosely and it's still difficult any other ideas?) , the pattern is fairly simple.

Until I get to the very end.

I have two "rows" of live knitting , one on a stitch holder and one on my needle and it says "weave" them together. I tried using the 3 needle cast off, that left a large ridge. From looking at the pattern, it appears it uses some type of weave that is invisible.
So what does "weave" mean? Mattress stitch didn't work because they are live so I kept dropping stitchs while trying to do it. Any other suggestions what this could mean?

Thanks.
QuietHeart
Quietheart is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Try kitchener stitch? (Amy has a video...)
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

I really need to make one of these
Old 06-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Quietheart
1st Leg of the Journey

I tried lots of soaker patterns, this one was the simplest and actually fit over a cloth diaper. Although I struggled with ssk. I have the hardest time getting the left needle back under both stitchs to knit them together. I have watched the video and for some reason, I have the worst time getting the needle under the second stitch. It maybe this woolease, it's very splitty *is that a word?*

QuietHeart
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

Splitty is definitely a word...at least around here it is

Have you watched Amy's video on kitchener stitch (weaving)? I had read descriptions and it sounded sooo complex, but then once I watched the video it made perfect sense. Of course she makes it look easy....but really, it's not super hard.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I have consulted Mr. Webster...he says he will ADD "Splitty" STRAIGHT AWAY...he apologizes for leaving it out in the first place. His exact words..."What in GAWDS name was I THINKING????"
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Quietheart
I tried lots of soaker patterns, this one was the simplest and actually fit over a cloth diaper. Although I struggled with ssk. I have the hardest time getting the left needle back under both stitchs to knit them together. I have watched the video and for some reason, I have the worst time getting the needle under the second stitch. It maybe this woolease, it's very splitty *is that a word?*

QuietHeart
Sometimes if you can't get the left needle through the front of the st on the right needle, you can "take them back" and put the right needle in as if to knit through the back loop. I think the reason for the ssk is to twist the stitches in the first place. As long as you don't twist them back, (just put you left needle through the front loop and transfer), you can try it that way.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Quietheart
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh Im so glad mr webster has seen things our way!! *laugh*

and yes I have had to put them back on the left needle regularly , for some reason the second stitch tightens up too much for me to get through all the strands. I still think its splitty's fault

Thanks for all your help. I did go and watch amy's video on kitchener stitch, she does make it look easy , so we'll see how it goes when I finish this next soaker!

QH
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

HEY!!!! I think there's a mistake in this pattern!
Cast on 56 [72, 80, 88, 96] sts. Join for knitting in the round.

Now. According to the pattern, the sizes are for newborn [s, m, l, todddler], and the circumference of each increases by 2 inches for each size. Soooo why is there a 16 stitch difference between newborn and s, but only an 8 stitch difference between the rest? (and 8 makes sense because of the guage of 5 sts/inch) ANYWAY, so I think for newborn you're supposed to cast on 64 stitches.

Of course I could totally be wrong. And this would mess up the rest of the pattern too (when you place stitches on a holder you'd end up with 52 remaining instead 44) Since I don't have kids, I don't know if newborns are that much smaller than a 0-6 month old. Maybe the "newborn" should really be "premie".... that would make sense. maybe

Never mind. ignore me. lots of people have made it without these problems. But since I am a math freak and I obsess about stupid things, I've never made it. i DO have a much easier pattern (which makes much more sense mathematically), but it's knit flat and then seamed.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Newborns are A LOT smaller. They grow really fast, too. 8 stiches worth, at least, :D
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote