Old 06-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
the amazing LIFELINE! (lengthy saga)
You all have heard about the afghan from hell.....if not a brief recap for your reading displeasure: (this all takes place over several weeks)

I cast on.....my long tail is too short by 8 inches...I do it again...ditto...finally I leave that sucker halfway across the room and it workse.

I knit 8 inches. The #($*%& falls off the needles irrevocably.

I cast on. I lose count 3/4 of the way due to paying very close attention to Carrie and Mr. Big. (ummmmmmmmmm Mr. Big, yummy).

I recast on. Life is grand. I knit another 8 inches or so. I go outside to knit, and I notice A), that this afghan is, very well, CHUNKY and B), the color that is supposed to blend with my lovely brown and beige is not rusty in tone but PURPLE in the light.

I frog. The frog turns into a huge snarl. Thank the Lord this yarn is cheap because I dont have hte patience for this sh%^ and into the trash that heap goes.

I cast on. Without that purple crap. It only two tries, but yes once again I lose fricking count.

Another 5 inches....and I DROP a FREAKIN PURL STITCH! Due to the double strand knottiness of my yarns, and the fact that I can't fix a dropped purl stitch for beans, yes you guess it the entire thing implodes as I try to fix it! FROGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

So I cast on....YET AGAIN......when I get to my first row where count matters, I note merrily that I have added 4 stitches to an 8 stitch pattern...since you are already 4 rows in at that point, I decide its a design feature and not a flaw.....and continue merrily on my way.

So last night I am surfing this site, and I see somebody's lovely orangey tank (the shapely tank it was) with a big honker lifeline across the ta-ta area....and I swear the lightbulb flashed on and off and on and off!!!! I had NEVER thought about using a lifeline BEFORE tragedy struck, and I found it difficult to understand in SNB how she wove one in and picked up the right stitches, especially with these two gnarly yarns i am using.....I watched Amy's video...and was even more WOWZA....I scuttled downstairs as fast as I could and spent 2 minutes putting a lovely cheap blue worsted across the most recent row......

While this most likely means I will never drop a remaining stitch in this nightmare afghan.....I am just so pleased that I CAN drop a stitch and who will care anyway if I do! WEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I SERIOUSLY hope your afghan karma improves now!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
MaggieL
Knitting the Flap

Maggie nods in understanding and agreement ...

Way to persevere.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
Re: the amazing LIFELINE! (lengthy saga)
Originally Posted by kitkat

I cast on.....my long tail is too short by 8 inches...I do it again...ditto...finally I leave that sucker halfway across the room and it workse.
Use two balls to cast on and you'll never run short again!
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Kitkat, I can't fix a purl stitch either. But I just turn my work around and it then becomes a knit stitch that I can fix very easily. Then when fixed, turn back around to continue on your way.
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

If you use a crochet hook from behind to fix a purl, that works.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

A knitter after my own heart! I too would have tried and retried until I got it right. I love that you didn't give up. Way to go!!

Here's a tip for your long tail cast on. Before starting, wrap the yarn around your needle as many times as there are stitches to cast on. That will give you the perfect length to start your long tail cast on.

Even quicker, take the width measurement for the finished item and multiply that by 3. Measure your yarn to that length, make your slip knot, and start casting on.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Oh good idea re estimating cast on!

The issue wasnt so much fixing the purl part (cuz I too turn it so that it becomes a knit), and it wasnt using a crochet hook, because I have successfully recovered from disaster before...the issue was the two yarns.....I couldnt seem to get the right ones.......

Oh well, it wont happen again now that I have amy LIFELINE up! I plan on doing it every ten inches or so......
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
feministmama
Instepping Out

I don't get it. What's a lifeline?
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

From what I understand, its something that's usually used in lace work. Basically you weave a contrasting yarn through your work at a point where you know everything before that point is correct. Then, if you make a mistake, you only have to frog down to that line.