Old 07-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Thank you thank you thank you all for keeping the claws. That is all I'll say on it.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuno930
Thank you thank you thank you all for keeping the claws. That is all I'll say on it.
I strongly feel that removing claws is equal to amputating fingers. We have three scratching posts and everyone is happy.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
feministmama
Instepping Out

I have one outdoor and one indoor. The indoor is a baby of the outdoor and has never lived outside. She will be 2 in September. I wanted them both to be indoor for safety of cat reasons and alla that but my roommate is upset with the stink of the litter box. So we compromised with the mama cat going out. But I do keep her inside at night time. We got all kinds of critters and other cats out there. She does have all her shots and claws too. But now roommate wants indoor cat to go out too. Wants our house to be litter free. So I will have to get shots and stuff for indoor cat. Then they will both come in and out as they please but poop outside. I don't like the idea of them being outside but I fear roomate will want them out period if I don't compromise.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ingrid
I strongly feel that removing claws is equal to amputating fingers. We have three scratching posts and everyone is happy.
Anatomically speaking it is the *exact* same as amputating the finger from the first knuckle.

ETD: First knuckle/last knuckle I was looking at my hands upside down
Old 07-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Nuno930
Anatomically speaking it is the *exact* same as amputating the finger from the last knuckle.
And where would WE be without our fingers, Hmmm?

Never cropped my boxer's ears, either. If you don't like them the way they come, don't take them, I always say.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
tab
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to tab
Neither of our cats are declawed, and both stay indoors for the most part. We live on a busy street, and prefer our cats three-dimensional. There was one time when I was propping the door open (I always have extended good-byes with my boyfriend, even after almost four years) and Nimbus just sauntered on outside. He just sat there and sniffed things until we took him back in. And I think my mummy took Mauney out on a leash this morning, but I was not present for the event. I hear she also smelled everything, and then came back indoors of her own accord.
My boyfriend's cat likes to go out in the backyard, but she's always supervised because there are a few avenues of escape that she knows of. There's never been a problem with her bringing in presents, partly because she's a bit of a chubba and partly because she has no front claws. His family adopted her from a shelter, and she was already declawed when they got her.
I've also lived with a happy outdoor cat, but she had a big field as a hunting/roaming area with very few cars as danger and a lone hawk who knew better than to mess with her, despite the fact that she was smaller than any other adult cat I've ever seen. She was happy being outside, but also happy to come in when the weather got cold.
My boyfriend and I will be adopting a cat when we move in together. Whether the cat is an indoor or an outdoor beast will depend on the cat's preferences and the area we live in - if it's busy, chances are we won't let hir roam freely outside even if s/he wants to.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I'm sure the main reason my old cat had run of the 'world' was because she came to us, pregnant, from who-knows-where and though we fed her, didn't let her in right away. My youngest was 2 and I didn't want to take any chances. She never, ever scratched a soul in all the 19 (of her 21) years we had her.

I'm pretty sure Ava will stay inside. I can live with my guilt about keeping her in better than I could live with the guilt of finding her on the road.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #18
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Never cropped my boxer's ears, either. If you don't like them the way they come, don't take them, I always say.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #19
feministmama
Instepping Out

So how about this? There is a neighborhood cat that has just been here for years. Our friendly neighbors down the street used to feed it and pet it but never took it for shots or anything. Then our friendly neighbor died and no one did anything about the cat so I started feeding it. I wanted it to come inside and live with us but it's SO skittish, it wanted no part of it. So now I just feed um and say Hi and try to pet em. The cat kinda sniffs around a little but that's it. No love, no warmth. So someone says I should stop feeding the cat if I'm not going to try to catch it and get it shots and alla that. But I think if the cat wanted me, they woulda said so and they haven't said so yet. So do you think I should force the cat inside or jsut let it do its thing? and I've got the other two cats to think about too.

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
Old 07-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #20
feministmama
Instepping Out

Did I just totally highjack this thread? I'm sorry, ignore me

I'm Femmy on Ravelry