Old 07-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
I'm stuck on Pie Are Square Shawl border

I have attempted the Sawtooth Border on my test version of this shawl three times now, and I've frogged it all three times. I can get the first "tooth" done, which works back and forth starting with about 8 stitches. You work through the pattern of decreases and end up with 3 stitches on the left needle and lots and lots of other stitches on the right needle, and then she says this:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Zimmerman
With left needle, pick up 8 stitches along selvedge PLUS 3 from right needle. then, with right needle, K2, Sl 1, K1 picked up stitch (a selvedge stitch), psso (3 stitches). Replace the 3 stitches onto left needle.

Now: (K2, Sl 1, K1, psso) 8 times.
I'm especially confused by the part I put in Red. I have no idea what she is hinting at here. My first "tooth" came out nicely, and then I worked my down the right side of it picking up stitches, etc, etc. I got to the "Now: (K2, Sl 1 ..." part that she says to repeat 8 times, and I ended up w/ not enough stitches left to do the repeat 8 times. Like *way* not enough stitches!!

I know this is probably confusing to hear w/out having seen the pattern, but any help anyone has to offer is much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

DM what book is the pattern from?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
amp926
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it is out of Knitting Around by EZ

... I think....
amp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Amp, you're right, it is Knitting Around.

I tried again last night after I posted this, and I'm still stuck. It's like there's a mistake in the pattern or she left something out. Or, perhaps, I'm just dense. It's just not making any sense to me, and I can't find errata for this book, and Elizabeth Zimmerman is dead. :crying:

Does *anyone* else have this book so they can look @ what I'm seeing and help me out?

If I can get to it today, I'll take some pictures of what it looks like after the first tooth & see if that helps. Argh!!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
It appears that you said you picked up down the side of your tooth, but the directions say to pick up down the selvedge side. What if you turn the whole thing? Then you'll have 3 st on the right needle and you can pick up the rest from the edge. I'm picturing the tooth on your right needle at this point.
'
If this makes absolutely no sense, forgive me. I know I have this book somewhere and I'm planning on organizing them today, so I'll have a look.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Ingrid
It appears that you said you picked up down the side of your tooth, but the directions say to pick up down the selvedge side. What if you turn the whole thing? Then you'll have 3 st on the right needle and you can pick up the rest from the edge. I'm picturing the tooth on your right needle at this point.
'
If this makes absolutely no sense, forgive me. I know I have this book somewhere and I'm planning on organizing them today, so I'll have a look.
Ingrid --

Actually, I've tried it both ways, and neither way seems right. The way the first 17 rows of the border are written, you end up with 3 stitches on the left needle at the tip of the tooth, and then she says to pick up 8 stitches on the selvedge edge w/ the left needle PLUS 3 stitches from the right needle. Well, if I do this, then I'm going to knit the front of the shawl together!

I really need to knit up the tooth again and take some pictures to show you all where I'm stuck. I have a feeling I'm missing something, or that EZ is assuming that I know more about adding a border to something than I really do.

I've also posted this same plea for help over on the Knitter's Review forum, but I haven't had any takers yet.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I found my book. So you're picking up the 8 selvedge stitches with the left needle for the tooth. The three from the right are for the attached I cord, which is that 8 times repeat. So you may feel that you're knitting the whole thing together, but maybe it seems that way while you're making the Icord?

I'm sure you've tried to do it exactly as she says, but I have to suggest this just to get it off my mind.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

I could just cry. Right now, I think I'll just take a break and come back and try again.

Thank you, Ingrid. I'll let you know what happens, and perhaps I can post pictures of where I'm stuck. :(

Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Well, Ingrid, your "thinking out loud" has helped me make progress. Picking up the stitches on the selvedge of the tooth is what I needed to hear. Before, I was just certain that I was suposed to be picking up stitches on the selvedge of the shawl itself. (She even has a schematic in the book w/ arrows pointing to the shawl selvedge.)

So, I picked up the 8 stitches PLUS three more from the right needle. So, I've tried the:

Quote:
Then, with right needle, K2, Sl 1, K1 picked up stitch (a selvedge stitch), psso (3 stitches). Replace the 3 stitches onto left needle.

Now: (K2, Sl 1, K1,psso) 8 times.
I am still ending up at the top of the tooth with 3 little stray stitches on the needle and nowhere to go!!

What do you think the "(3 stitches)" means? Am I supposed to repeat "K2, Sl 1, K1 picked up stitch, psso" until I am down to 3 stitches? I don't see how that is going to help. I am still knitting from the bottom of the tooth up, and it would seem that I should be going top down, but I can't figure out how to get turned around in the right direction.

Off to take a break before my neck becomes completely immobile!

Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I'm pretty sure that those three are for the i-cord. NOW do you pick up the next eight for the next tooth from the shawl selvedge rather than the tooth? so you'l have your three, plus eight. Those three get worked in the i-cord attached to the tooth, then the step after 18 puts the i cord on the other side of the tooth. Then you do a tooth with the attached i cord, then the icord, all the way arounmd. Am I making sense here?