Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Help with a pattern please
Hello all,

I'm currently in the middle of a project and I'm confused by the instructions. I was wondering if you could help. This is the project I'm working on:

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=217 or http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/p...uction_217.pdf

I have the ribbing for the sleeves done (67 sts) and here's where I'm confused (I'm doing the XL size with is the last number in the stitch counts):

Proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of 5th and every following 8th row to 79 (83-87-91) sts.

Cont even until Sleeve from beg measures 17 1/2 (18-19-19) ins ending with RS facing for next row.

My question is, on which rows to I do the increase? Is it the 5th row and then every 8 rows or is it every 5th and 8th row? Please help!
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

You'll increase on the next 5th row, THEN every 8th row after that.

So it's like this..

row 1
row 2
row 3
row 4
row 5 INCREASE HERE
13 INCREASE HERE
21 INCREASE HERE
etc...

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Thank you Silver! I will try this as soon as I find some time.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Ok, "finished" the sleeve per the directions, but it seems to me that it is too short. :? I tried on the body portion of the hoodie and held the shoulder end of the sleeve up to the shoulder of the body and the sleeve stops about two inches from my wrist. I'm not sure what I should do.

The pattern called for increases to a certain point to shape the sleeve and then to continue knitting until the sleeve reached 19 inches, then some decreases to shape the shoulder. I followed the instructions and even ended up making it longer than 19 inches because I wasn't paying attention. I was worried it might be too long and here it is too short!

Should I frog back to the 19 inches and just make the sleeve longer? Or stick with what I have and trust that it fits differently than I think it will once it's all put together?

I'm honestly almost considering frogging the whole thing because the body (I think) is going to end up too baggy. But if someone can help/guide me I might reconsider. :(
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I would go with your instincts. If you think the sleeve is too short, it probably is. Measure your arm from the underarm to your wrist and compare it to the sleeve. Allow the sleeve a little more length so you have some 'give'.

Better yet, measure a sweater whose fit you love and compare the sleeve lengths. Then make this sweater match that one.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

DON'T frog it!!!!!!!!!!! you can fix it!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
What kind of yarn are you using? With some yarn if you do wet blocking afterwards, the sleeves can grow in length QUITE a bit!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by kemp
What kind of yarn are you using? With some yarn if you do wet blocking afterwards, the sleeves can grow in length QUITE a bit!
This is what I'm using. It's 100% acrylic, so I'm guessing it's not going to stretch.

I'm going to try to fix the sleeve, hopefully tonight if I can find some time. Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
:thinking: not sure...I don't have any experience with acrylic in that regard. Maybe someone more experienced can comment. At any rate if you do decide to frog it, maybe it'd be worth trying to wet block it first.

Hopefully you can just fix it though!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I don't think wet block on acrylic will work. Acrylic stretches when wet and then shrinks back to size when dry, which is why you're SUPPOSED to dry them in the dryer.

I would compare it to a sweater that you really like the fit on, and if you need to make the sleeves longer, go for it. You'll be happier with it in the end. After all, you only have to frog to the decreases, right?

As for the body, better too big than too small.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote