Old 07-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
joyt
Ribbing the Cuff

Banana Silk and Recyc. Sari Silk
Another case of impulse buying. 200gr of Orange recycled sari silk and 200gr of Red banana silk.

They look great together, but I do not know what would be the correct project to create with them?

Maybe a long shoulder bag? Because it has to be hand washed and dryed flat I really did not think a garment would be practical.

Suggestions welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	silk.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	20358  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I just bought a ton a recycled silk, too! Here's a thread that I started on the patterns page asking for suggestions; lots of people posted ideas. KK suggested a book cover, and that's on my list...I have 7 skeins of it though, so I'm going to be doing others too!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
When Ive seen recycled silk knitted objects, they've been HEAVY. Might be something to think about if you are considering a garment.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Need more info please? Do you guys have a preferred ebay seller? What does the yarn feel like? Looks relly cool!

I am so on yarn probation though! One of my LYS is having a going out of business :( sale (50% off!!! all yarn!!!!) and one of the other ones just had a bag sale at 40-50% off (whole bags of REALLY COOL YARN). Of course, I *had* to add to my ever growing stash.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
joyt
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Kemp,

I bought the yarn from two different ebay sellers. Both the banana silk and the recycled sari silk are the same texture and weight. Both change gauge within a matter of inches from worested to super chucky. Maybe a size 11 to 13 needle.

I did not think a garmet was a wise choice because of the fiber's cleaning instructions and the finished wieght. I thought a deep shoulder bag with a long strap would work. Kinda of like a tote?

I am hoping someone with experience with this fiber had a suggestion and/or pattern.

regards,
joyt
Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Here is the auction i won . The seller was very nice, the yarn is GORGEOUS. It is a liiiiiiitle "stringier" than I'd like it to be... pulls apart occasionally, etc. But it looks GREAT knitted up. I've just done some swatches. It does get knotty and twisty, which causes breakage, but I think that's the nature of recycled silk, and not b/c this person sells crappy yarn. The stuff I bought at the LYS was 16 bucks a skein, and it WAS woven very tightly, and it's shinier. But this stuff is really great too... NO sticks or dirt, which I heard can happen with recycled silk. I don't know... I got 2 skeins from the lYS for 32 bucks, and I got 5 skeins from ebay for 34 with shipping; even though the yarn quality is a TINY bit inferior (TINY, TINY, TINY) it's worth it b/c of thepirce, I thought.

I'm going to do the book cover first, and then work on THIS bag pattern: it might be what you're looking for, joyt; the pattern is for the small version, but there is a picture of a bigger version, which is what I think i';m going to do (no directions, though, but I think it can be "fudged")
Old 07-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Very cool. Thanks for all the info.

One of the sellers mentioned the bananna yarn being pretty soft. Is that accurate?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
joyt
Ribbing the Cuff

Dear HvK,

Thank you for the link of the Melow bag by Stephanie Shiman! That is very much what I visioned.

It will be my project after a baby sweater, for my new niece, I am nearly finishing with and a pair of leg warmers for my disabled mother.

Dear k,

My orange recycled sari silk is firm but not stiff and will break if pulled on hard. My red banana silk is soft and softer than the sari silk. The color is more vivid in the banana silk also. But both fibers call for hand washing in cold water with mild soap and to lay flat to dry.

regards[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hands.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	20398  Click image for larger version

Name:	silks.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	20399  
Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Thanks for the info. I need to resist the urge to buy more yarn right now

(HA...fat chance)

But I would REALLY like to try that banana silk!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
benniesma
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to benniesma
I have no ideas for your project, but just wanted to say that the yarn looks so yummy! Have fun!