Instepping Out

Poss OT? How do you defend your knitting purchases
me: gotta have it!
dh: no you don't... :rollseyes:
me: I need it for... :XX:
dh: you have plenty of it...
me: you bought a BOAT!
dh: cuz I need someplace to sit, there's no room in the house! :?eyebrow:
me: pay no attention to the yarn bag in the back seat of the car!
dh: I gave up caring months ago... :zzz:
me: you have all your airplane stuff that's not done too! :thinking:
dh: yeah, but... hey.. this isn't about me!
me:WhATeVeR!
dh: whatEVER!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
"It was on sale"

"I knit every day. How often do you use the power tools in the basement?"

"Oh that box? Its a back order."

"Because I'm an addict."

"Because I'm insane."
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

me: I bought yarn. YOU bought a motorcycle. THEN you bought a new car.

dh: ...

me: See? I could still buy like $30,000 worth of MORE yarn. But unlike you, *I* can control myself.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

If my DH ever dare challenge me on any purchase the conversation is always the same:
DH: Do you really need another (purse,. shoes, yarn, outfit...)?
Me: I gave birth to your child, and stay at home with her.
DH: Want 2?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i do it by not getting married ...lol
Old 07-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Honey, I don't know what to say, other than....work that magic . I've been married for 16 years & my husband buys me knitting stuff all of the time, as well as various other surprises (jewelry last week) all of the time. You just have to ..... treat your husband as you want to be treated (not saying that you don't)....or, perhaps, no...I DO have an exceptional husband. He has his hobbies of which I support him in 100% and he does the same with me. and....work that magic .......

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

LOL, too funny!
DH and I have sort of a Fred and Ethel relationship some say...
Actually, we are both such "High Volume, Low Storage Capacity" hobbyists that truly, there is no argument. I love our banter, "yeahbut,yeahbut,yeahbut..."
Unfortunately I can't use the "I bore your child" loophole since we both agree that we can't have kids as there is no room in our little house. Although, has anyone noticed that the most incredible meals come from a tiny kitchen? LOL
I love when he gets his toys, or spends $30 at his R/C flying club meeting and wins a $20 part or piece for a plane, it keeps him occupied! I bring my knitting to his fun flys... it's a good time... I get to sit like a queen on the non-spectator side of the flight line under a nice canopy and "keep an eye" on his stuff, and knit my little heart out! I learn a lot about ailerons and glow plugs, sip cool drinks and life is grand! My MIL (an angel!) became a airplane enthusiast thru my FIL and they go to watch the big birds at Oshkosh WI every year for their anniversary. I admire spouses that develop and interest in their better half's hobbies... Men that are quilting hubbies for some of my gal pals here are just sexy don't you think?
So, then, that leads me to inquire? What hobbies do our signficant others enjoy? (and I'm not talking just spouses, I mean to be PC here of course!)
Mine likes remote control boats, cars, planes, water skiing (especially so now he has a boat), and wife chasing... (animal! )
Mine is close to the suprise factor... lol He tells me all the time he luvs me and once in a while says "maybe i should get you flowers and stuff more often" He just hasn't quite gotten to the "just go and do it instead of talkin' about it part" apparently! LOL
Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

this thread is cracking me up!

My DH is also a 'stuff' person, so he doesn't have room to complain about me! When he dragged a huge metal "John Hancock" signature across the country when we got married and he relocated here - well, I cannot top that!

*thinking we'll make some sort of garden trellis with it!*

:D :

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hobbies
Hi,
This is a wonderful thread!

Binkykat, my S. O. is a recently retired (3 weeks ago) school teacher. Even after teaching American History for 38 years Dan still loves it, especially French & Indian and Revolutionary war re-enacting. In addition to building reproduction flint lock rifles he also does bead work and quill work for ammunition bags and finger weaving for sashes and leg gaiters. Last night he was redesigning the neck and sleeve ruffles on one of his handmade linen shirts. It's kind of fun to be asked for advice on sewing and embroidery. Of course he also has a 3 pounder revolutionary war cannon in the family room which travels to various historical events around the Midwest and East.

He's always interested in my knitting especially when I'm doing cables and you can really see the texture 'pop out'. Last week he bought me "At Knit's End" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. The subtitle is: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. We've both had lots of laughs reading this and it helps a non-knitter to understand a little more about knitting obsession!! Of course, the cannon can always be used as a great defense whenever he thinks I'm a little too obsessed.

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Re: Hobbies
Originally Posted by MaryS
Hi,
This is a wonderful thread!

Last week he bought me "At Knit's End" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. The subtitle is: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. We've both had lots of laughs reading this and it helps a non-knitter to understand a little more about knitting obsession!! Of course, the cannon can always be used as a great defense whenever he thinks I'm a little too obsessed.

Mary
I copied several pages of this book and put them on the fridge. This way my family knows I'm not the only one!
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote