Old 07-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #11
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the hugs, ABY! I hope you and your daughter are able to enjoy one another for a very long time!! All I can say to anyone, is to never take a moment for granted.

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 AM   #12
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

*bump*

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #13
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

OOoh, I have one!

Last spring, our neighbors lost their daughter to kidney failure. Instead of going to the funeral, I offered to stay at their house and get the buffet together. Everyone was coming over to the house after the service, so a lot folks had brought plates of food. Well, their house is OLD, like 100 years old, and has been in the family the whole time. Many family members have been born and have passed away in that house.

The whole time I was setting up the food (mind you, I was by myself), I kept seeing things out of the corner of my eye. Just kind of shadows, but not, and a few times, I thought it was just my hair getting in the way, you know? Well, it kept happening. I never got a bad feeling from it, I just felt strange about the whole thing. Anywho, I'm bending down in front of the fridge to get some potato salad out when I look to my left and see a cat. It was long-haired, grey, with a white chest. He was just sitting there looking at me, maybe 2 feet away from me. I look back at the fridge to finish taking out the plate of salad, and when I looked back the cat was gone. So, I'm thinking, "Hmmm, when did they get a cat?"

During the reception I was talking to their son. I told him about the shadows I kept seeing (not like "OMG, I was seeing stuff", but more like "Hey, it was kind of strange...") He laughed and told me that they're always hearing stuff in that house. He told me that they sometimes hear footsteps going up the basement stairs, and then stop when they get to the door. Then, I asked him when his parents got a cat. He said they didn't have one. I say, "Funny, I saw one today." And I describe the cat to him. Ummm, yah, his sister had a cat that looked just like that and it had passed away when she was like 11. I SWEAR I saw that dang cat.

Needless to say, I will NOT be offering to be alone in their house ever again.

~Sharon

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #14
Silver
Instepping Out

Here's a perfect ghost story for a knitting board.

When I first got into knitting, I bought a large collection of knitting supplies on Ebay. They came from an estate sale. Shortly after they arrived, I began feeling a presence around me when I was knitting. Occaisionally, I would see something as well. A flutter go by me, or down the hallway.

One day, while my mom was here, I was knitting away and was quite used to the presence around me. I saw the ghost in the hallway and didn't say anything. Mom looked at me and said did you see her too? We both described the same thing. An elderly woman in a white or light colored dress standing in the hallway.

I firmly believe she was the original owner of the knitting supplies. She must have been very passionate about knitting, because in with the tools were many, many hand written patterns. She came to oversee how her things were being used. I also believe she's the reason I never had any problems learning to knit *by myself*, and have gotten very good at it in a relativly short time.

But, I'm on my own now though. I haven't seen or felt her in about a year now. I think she was pleased that her beloved tools went to someone as passionate about knitting as her. Her name was Elanore, my knitting ghost.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #15
feministmama
Instepping Out

Good one silver! Now that is a truly beleivable story!

So do y'all watch that TV show Medium? DO you know she is a real person and she wrote a book? I read some of it. She says she sees people all the time. THe thing is she says she sees family memebers of the people who ask her questions. Why doesn't she see cavemen? Or slaves? Or Irish fishermen? Or whatever yaknow? I think if you saw folks from beyond, you would see everyone and everything. Dinosaurs, cats, dogs, old presidents, elevator operators, babies, amoebas, whatever ya know.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
LisaD715
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to LisaD715 Send a message via MSN to LisaD715
Sil...I love that story, how sweet that Elanore watched over you to make sure you got the hang of it!!

KER+ Exp SPM+ Steel Syn Nov Cot Wool Lux Stash Scale Fin Flat Circ DPN KIP 3FO 3WIP X EM wannabeQ
LisaD715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #17
mintdee
Working the Gusset

K I got a freaky one for you.

Right after my parents divorced (I was 12) My dad moved in with his girlfriend (my now step mother). Well she lived in an old house that was rather spooky feeling. Not long after my dad moved in things would start falling off of shelves every once in a while. And there was a picture of the two of them that they loved that would not stay on the mantel. It actually hit my dad once when he was walking by it. I really do not think that ghost liked my dad. It also loved taking my dads keys and a necklace that my dad have given me while we were in that house. (that was the only thing of mine that would ever go missing. Funny thing was, my necklace was always under my bed after a few days of being missing. ) I got to the point that when it would go missing I would wait a while and just check that spot untill the necklace finally appeared.
But that is not the freakiest part. One night I had stayed up late after my bed time, well a few mins after turning out the light my room got really cold and then there was a shadow at my door. It was a mans shape. He just stood there for a few mins looking at me, shook his head (like he was saying no, his head moved fast like a parent telling his child no) and then disappeared. After that if I stayed up too late my room would get cold and I would go straight to bed (maybe my dad caught on or the ghost don't know) he never hurt me but my dad had to watch out around there. Weird I tell ya. Anyway we did not stay in that house very long.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #18
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Port Arthur. One year before the massacre (I don't think I could go there now). I was 16.

I was in a room in a house on the property, which was renowned to be haunted. The chair/corner where the ghost had been seen was totally empty, no eekie feeling about it at all (I'm usually pretty sensitive to eekies).

So I walked over to the window and looked at the photos that had been taken in the past, and then looked out the window to a vast yard area.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and thought it was my mother or father as it was a larger hand. I turned around.

No one was there.

As I ran frantically from the room, I felt I had to push past someone to get to the door.

This is not the only time I've felt/seen eekies.

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
MaryS
Turning the Heel

I don't have a personal ghost story, but mintdee's story reminded me of one of Nora Roberts series of books.

There are three books in this series. The first is BLUE DALHIA, the second is BLACK ROSE, and the third (which won't be out until the end of Nov.) is going to be RED LILY. There's an interesting ghost in all these books who is especially attached to children. There's also research involved to try and find out who she was and why she haunts the house.

Lots of fun, a fairly quick read, and strong women characters. I'm looking forward to the third volume.

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
JLC
Instepping Out

Those books were what I first thought of when I was reading this thread. I am almost done with Black Rose and I can't wait for the 3rd to come out.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote