Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Ingrid, Yes, I need to sew it on to the blanket. I have never knit from a graph ... I think I could draw a ladybug or find some easy clip art ... are there directions on how to figure out what stitch ... and would I still purl every other row. Should I search ... knitting from a graph...? Thanks for your help.

anp, that is a good example, thank you. I would have no idea how to crochet it ...
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Knitting from a graph, and actually counted cross-stitch graphs are good for knitting also, isn't difficult. You follow the chart from right to left on the front in knit stitches and from left to right on the back in purl. You will need to switch colors for the spots, but since I imagine it wouldn't be too big you could strand the yarns across the back. One stitch for each square--piece of cake.

The only thing that would be difficult, in my realm of experience, would be to shape it nicely into a round shape with a head. Knitting it on a background would be fairly easy, though.
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
Knitsforfun
Casting On

I need a pattern for a lady bug
Did you want to knit a three-dimensional one?

How about knitting a red ball and knit or duplicate stitch some black at the top for the head. Add black duplicate stitch dots and a line down the middle for wings. Add two black yarns from the head as antenae.

Here is a pattern for a 3.5" ball. The ball can be smaller if knit with thinner yarn than worsted weight.
http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/balls.htm

KFF
Knitsforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
InterNette
Turning the Heel

family circle easy knits for kids book has a kids lady bug sweater on the cover. I dont have this book but have seen it. I do have Vigue knitting 99 and it has a lady bug and a bumble bee sweater and a hat made from icords. I can try and post the instructions, very little to it , it seems
red is color A and black is color B
with two dpns and A cast on 7 sts. (note: at begining and ending of every row, do not turn, but slide stchs to beginning of needle to work next row from RS, as when making an I-cord)
ROW1: *K1 A, k1 B, rep from * end k1 A
ROW2: K3 A, k1 B, k3 A
ROW3: k2 TOG TBL A, k1 A, k1B, K1A ,K2tog A
ROW4:K2tog tbl B, k1B, k2togB
ROW5: SKP2P with B. Fasten off

Hope this helps you. The are really cute little critters all around the sweater and hat. 3 -d and really look like ladybugs
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #15
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I'm glad you reminded me. Earlier today I was going through Zoe Mellors Animal Knits for Kids and there are patterns for a cushion, blanket and hat with ladybugs (ladybirds in the book). The had doesn't have a motif on it. The whole thing looks like a ladybug, antennae and all!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #16
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I sort of did my own thing ... adapted from the PJ bag pattern ... then felted. They are blocking right now. I will take pix and post soon. I am not toooo crazy about them and need to change some things.

InterNette, I will give the pattern a try, THANKS! Ingrid, I will check that book out from the library . My granddaughter's room has ladybugs and it would be fun to make a pillow.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I used the pj bag pattern http://www.craftown.com/knitpat4.htm for the large lady bug and sort of made up my own from that for the little one. I am not really crazy about how they turned out but my granddaughter loves them. I trimmed (yea felting) the little one into a better shape .... and made the head smaller. I am going to try again on the small one, now that I know what to expect. Next time, I will start on one side and increase, change colors and only make one row of black then decrease and only pick up stitches for the head. On the small one, I will use "french knots" instead of satin stitch for the spots. I also think I will use larger needles so I can felt them longer but they won't be "thicker".

I used Pattons 100% merino and it felted in 3 minutes.
After felting - large 12 " small 3"
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting_00005.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	20761  Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting_00004.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	20762  Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting_00003.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	20763  

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #18
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
SOOOOOOOOO cute!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #19
Ingrid
Mod Squad

That's so cute! But boy, talk about the miracle of felting!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #20
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Wow! Those are cute!!! I will be stealing this (hopefully!!) in a few months. My cousin (who has had a lot of infertility issues under went treatment 2 months ago and got the green light to get pg!) LOVES... a little too much... ladybugs! I wanted to make her something when she has a baby!