Old 10-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #31
InterNette
Turning the Heel

yeah i did one or two a day. I sit at a therapist waiting room for about 1.5 hours 3 days a week and doctors offices about 1 to 2 hours once to twice a week so i was pumping them out. Besides it was the only thing i kinda knew how to make and I suffer insomnia terribly and am up till 4 regularly. I finally made 2 sweaters , 2 shawls, one that is ugly and I moved onto an oregon tote. I did a stack of dishcloths to give out for presents, can give with a nice fancy bar or soap, some potholders in similar design, anything. They dont take long at all, it is only knit and purl. no seams, no short rows, and counting is easy with a clicker. I would really love a palm tree one, I wonder how hard it would be to make the pattern up yourself? Has anyone done this. Would you simply use graph paper?
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #32
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/grafpap.htm

This is knitters graph paper. You can draw your pattern on it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 AM   #33
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
Why make dishclothes. To wash your dishes! Knitted dishclothes just clean better than store bought. If you have spaghetti sauce or scrambled egg stuck to the counter they will scrub it up faster than anything. (Yes, I have kids learning to cook:D) I buy the cone of cotton and just knit up a bunch. They are great to work on at church (shh, so I can't sit still that long!) I can't post any since I give them away or use them as fast as I can make them, but I will try to remember to post them before hand.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:29 AM   #34
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

I forgot to say that they are also fun to design since they are so small. My dd (13) and I spent the whole evening last week coming up with things I could knit on dishclothes and plotting them out. It was great fun and a great way to spend time with her even though she doesn't knit.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #35
InterNette
Turning the Heel

how hard was the plotting? I need some more designs I decided.
I also need more colors then the local selection of walmarts peaches and cream.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #36
LisaD715
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to LisaD715 Send a message via MSN to LisaD715
I use my dishcloths....they are great. On the Grandmother's favorite, I used size 8 needles and increased the # of stitches to 50 in the middle, it makes a nicer size. I still love that pattern it is so easy.....but beautiful!

KER+ Exp SPM+ Steel Syn Nov Cot Wool Lux Stash Scale Fin Flat Circ DPN KIP 3FO 3WIP X EM wannabeQ
LisaD715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #37
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

We didn't try to plot anything fancy, just k and p stitches to make pictures. I'm not good enough to try anything else yet. We just got 1/4" graph paper & drew a square the number of stitches we wanted (minus edges, our paper wasn't that big). Then we found the middle both ways and just started coloring in the squares. X for knit and O for purl. Sometimes you have to erase and fiddle with it to make it right. Then I wrote the directions (using the graph) like regular knitting directions. You just have to remember that the WS goes the opposite way from the RS and one is K and the other is P. I drew arrows in the margins to remind me. I am in the middle of knitting the first one & it is coming out great so far. If you are better than me you should be able to plot inc & dec and things to make it fancier. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #38
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

What a sweet topic! I read this the other day but never responded, then thought about it a lot and came back! It's funny to me coz that's exactly what I thought before I knit my first washcloth I call them.

I've only done one but I tried a really really neat new stitch I had never done and it was so much fun to watch it evolve. And, it's so pretty I haven't dared to use it, it's just hanging there in the bathroom looking pretty.

Btw, I love that crocheted dishcloth, the edge, that is very very pretty.

I looked for the new pattern I used and can't find it! Lost in Internet world. Some woman made this pattern up and named it after a race car driver???? I'll look some more. But IT IS FUN to do a washcloth! It's done so quickly! If only I can bring myself to use the next one!

P.S. Knitting in church! Wow, I've thought about trying that several times but it's a tiny little church and I think everyone would be watching (and scowling)! God must love a knitter though....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #39
yarnpiggy
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Victoise
...I looked for the new pattern I used and can't find it! Lost in Internet world. Some woman made this pattern up and named it after a race car driver???? I'll look some more. But IT IS FUN to do a washcloth! It's done so quickly! If only I can bring myself to use the next one!
Is this the one?

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/DW_cloth.html
yarnpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 PM   #40
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

When I knit in church I use the wooden needles that I made so they don't make any noise and I am usually knitting for charity anyway. What better place to do it? Just ask the pastor or leader if he/she minds. At least I am there I figure.