Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #11
Licensed2Cook
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Licensed2Cook Send a message via Yahoo to Licensed2Cook
I am pretty sure I've seen Cast-On sold at Barnes and Noble.

The article says that you can find the pattern at www.geocities.com/helmetliner as well as the information for mailing the completed helmet liners for expedited delivery overseas.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
THANKS!
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
laney
Casting On

Another good website here
laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

This one was listed on the website that Amy posted...Project Linus - blankets for severely ill or hospitalized children. The Project Linus group that I started crafting with makes all sorts of blankies - knit, crochet, fleece...a really great charity group to work with in my short experience with them.

A bunch of ladies I work with started a group knitting/crocheting afghan squares for local hospitals. It's been really successful, partly because a 9" afghan square seems so much more manageable than an entire blanket. Side benefit : we've been teaching each other loads of stuff and having lots of fun :XX:

wen
Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #15
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Another great spot is WARM UP AMERICA. They take squares and put together blankets that are given to other charities all over the country. That way you don't have to do a whole project unless you want to, but can still be part of sharing your knitting warmth
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #16
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Ok..

I'm giving this a BUMP for two reasons:...

1.) The holiday season is upon us and it is getting a bit colder, so if you were feeling inclined to knit for others this thread has some great links.

2.) I have a friend whose husband has been deployed to Afganistan (VERY COLD in the mountains ). I wanted to make him a helmetliner but i have question...

- it says i need size 16" needles. Do i have to buy those especially or will my Boye set suffice with a little fancy knitting? Or would i be better off buying 16" needles to avoid unnecessary hassles?

Thanks!
-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #17
Julie
Instepping Out

Having just finished using Boyes with the smallest cable, I would say try knitting a few rounds ans see if they drive you crazy. Personally I don't think I could do it, because they cables are so stiff...but yours may be better than mine. Also, with the smallest cable your needle will measure 20"...may be too big.

I say do a test run, and if worse comes to worse, you have a great excuse to buy a new needle!