Old 07-27-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

[OT] Non-knitting wedding gift
My hubbies co-worker is getting married in Sept. He is in his mid-30's and independently wealthy. They moved into a new house this year & have everything they need. They are registerred at a couple of places but made the comment that they didn't really find anything they wanted, that they just kinda scanned stuff. He is not spiritual at all & wouldn't appreciate a knitted gift(i won't have time anyway). Y'all are creative so I thought I would give it a shot & ask here.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

In his case, since they have what they need, and why did they register if they weren't interested... I would suggest making a donation to a local shelter in their name. Since you mention he's not the spiritual type, instead of a church or group that has ties to a group supporting certain beliefs, donating to a food pantry or shelter would be a good way to help the community.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i am not sure what you want to spend on this obviously but when my cousin got married i got them a brass door knocker for their new house with their name and the year they were married engraved and presented it in a nice cherry wood box. i still think it is the coolest gift, though if they have a glass or metal front door it doesn't really work.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

what about a subscription to Taste of Home? Or another magazine that deals with something they are both insterested in?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #5
LisaD715
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to LisaD715 Send a message via MSN to LisaD715
Not knowing how crafty you are other than knitting.....but you could make a wedding wreath for their home. It has flowers that are supposed to mean specific things. If you make it fresh it dries beautifully, or you can do already dried or silk. I can post it the first part of August if you would like that info.

I also love the idea of donating to a local shelter, food pantry, etc... Are they pet people? Donate to a local animal rescue, something along that line.

KER+ Exp SPM+ Steel Syn Nov Cot Wool Lux Stash Scale Fin Flat Circ DPN KIP 3FO 3WIP X EM wannabeQ
LisaD715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
There are other programs where you can name a star after someone, "adopt" an acre of rainforest or a mountian gorilla or another endangered animal in someone's name, things like that....

I like the idea of finding a cause they are both interested in (gives you a chance to be all SNEAKY!) and donating in some way. I think an organization that offers a naming or adoption option makes it extra special for their wedding.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

So far all I know that he likes is golf. I have never met his gf. I am not sure, but don't think they share a common interest. We will see him today, maybe I will ask. I also have to ask my hubby how much he wants to spend.

I went to an overnighter with the local group(workers) & they liked to have a nice dinner, drink & talk on the phone. It was really weird after dinner was over where ever they were they each were on a cell chatting away. They would still kinda chat with each other too. Must be a salesmen kinda thing. They all sell medical supplies to doctors & are on the phone & in the car all day. Maybe I could get his wife-to-be a certificate to surgically remove the phone from him for their honeymoon.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
MaggieL
Knitting the Flap

kk, I googled about "adopt" an acre and couldn't believe all the choices available: rainforest, coral, freshwater, animal... I'm gonna do that for gifts. I wish I would have thought of that for our grads!
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Another thought, one of our favorite wedding gifts was from dh's former boss. He and his wife gave us a very nice picture frame, brass I think, that had our names and wedding date engraved on it. I put our church wedding certificate in it but it fits an 8x10. I like to give picture frames as gifts when appropriate. Something basic, but can be made personal by the recipient. Everyone has pictures and size isn't an issue!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

More info
So my Hubby had the task of getting more info today. I told him he needed at least one common interest that the couple shared. I also told him sex didn't count. Sooo, without so much as a breath Terry (the soon to be husband) says sex, but using a much more grafic word, cause ya know, they are guys. So my hubby presses him for at least five more minutes & he says, "We like to golf together. Um well, she likes to golf with me, I don't like to golf with her." Sooo, he took a bit more time & came up with cooking & sometimes cooking & sex together. My hubby says he used sex in between all this too.

Soo, conclusion is they like to cook, but really have all the pans & stuff they need. I am still thinking the cell phone removale surgery is the best bet. He was talking about using his phone when he was in meeting with his customers. The man is an addict. (not to mention rude)