Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Help with pattern instructions
I'm making Shedir using DPNs instead of circs. The directions say to use a stitch marker, but I'm not since I keep the beginning of the row in between two of the needles. The directions say:

Work rounds 1-52. On next round (53), work to last st, sl next st to right needle, remove marker, sl st back to left needle, replace marker. This now represents the beginning of the next round.

Maybe I don't understand how stitch markers work, or where they're supposed to go...

HELP!
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
They are just asking you to move the beginning of the round one st to the right...

Stitch markers go ON your needle like a stitch, and get slipped each time you come to them
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Does the stitch marker go between the first stitch of the row and the last stitch normally? I think that's part of my problem.....
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you were knitting in the round, you'd put a marker between the last and first stitch. I imagine that if you have your's on dpns there's no place to put that marker.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

On DPNs, you don't need a stitch marker. The yarn tail shows you at which corner the round begins.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Re: Help with pattern instructions
Originally Posted by JGM
Work rounds 1-52. On next round (53), work to last st, sl next st to right needle, remove marker, sl st back to left needle, replace marker. This now represents the beginning of the next round.
Ok, I think I may have figured this out.... Does it mean to not work the last stitch of round 53? That would make sense, because then you would have this.... [first stich of 53] [marker] [last stitch of 52] ...on the left needle...then you would slip [last stitch of 52] to the right needle, remove the [marker], slip [last stitch of 52] to the left needle and then replace the [marker], thus moving the marker one stitch to the right like KellyK said. YES?? :thinking:

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

YES! Like Kelly said, uh, 23 hours ago? :D

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Ok, new question on same pattern....

Instructions for a 'cable 3 right' say:
slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold to back; knit next st from left needle; purl the purl st from cable needle then knit last st from cable needle

Here's my situation: The next three stitches from right to left (on the left needle) are knit, purl, knit. So, that makes the two stitches to hold to the cable needle (R-L) a knit, purl. So far, so good. I then knit the remaining stitch from the left needle and move to work the cabled stitches. Here's where I'm stumped. The instructions say to purl into the purl stitch and then knit the knit stitch from the cable needle. But the purl stitch is on the left! Am I not slipping the stitches properly or is there some fangled way to knit left to right that I don't know? I'm 99% sure I have the stitches from the previous row correct, although this is the start of the first row after working what I had a question about above.... HELP!

If pictures would help, please ask and I will get them up.

KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
Old 08-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I get what your saying, and understand your confusion. I think a picture may be in order. :thinking:

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Ok, here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. Hopefully they're clear enough to help you understand what I'm talking about. The caption in the first picture refers to the problem stated in the original post in this thread.
Attached Images: