Old 08-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I would at this point just follow the directions as written, even if there's a glitch here. Then see what happens.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
I'm willing to do that, but what I don't understand is how to do the purl stitch first if it's on the left...would you suggest just working the knit stitch first and then the purl stitch? The directions say the opposite.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I would work it exactly like the pattern says, or you face having to do the opposite for the rest of it. What you COULD do :idea: Is take a crochet hook and reverse those two stitches to be the correct way and then continue. Put the crochet hook in the front to make the purl into a knit, and put the hook in the back to make the knit into a purl.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Ingrid, I took your advice and just did what the pattern told me and it ended up working out. Here's what I did:
I cabled the two stitches, knitted the next stitch AND THEN, purled the purl stitch from the cable needle (on the left remember) and pulled it off the cable needle from the wrong end. i.e. instead of pulling the stitch off the right end of the needle, I pulled it off the left end. Then I worked the knit stitch from the cable needle and pulled it off the right end. It was wierd, but it worked out!

KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
Old 08-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Carolyn407
Casting On

Originally Posted by JGM
I'm willing to do that, but what I don't understand is how to do the purl stitch first if it's on the left..
These instructions puzzle me also. Have you considered writing to info@girlfromauntie.com and asking Jenna to clarify?
Carolyn407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #16
Silver
Instepping Out

Purl the stitch on the left and leave it on the needle (obviously), bring your working needle around and knit the stitch on the right, then slip them both off. It is used to create a cable of two stitches without having to use another cable needle.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
Ingrid
Mod Squad

So then is he doing a cable behind a cable?

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #18
Silver
Instepping Out

That's what it sounds like. It'll be a twist of 2, with a third around it. A 3 stitch right cable... like a rope.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 AM   #19
Ingrid
Mod Squad

When I first read the directions, that's what I thought, but I'd never heard of that. I'll have to try it out, sounds interesting.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Ingrid, I took your advice and just did what the pattern told me and it ended up working out. Here's what I did:
I cabled the two stitches, knitted the next stitch AND THEN, purled the purl stitch from the cable needle (on the left remember) and pulled it off the cable needle from the wrong end. i.e. instead of pulling the stitch off the right end of the needle, I pulled it off the left end. Then I worked the knit stitch from the cable needle and pulled it off the right end. It was wierd, but it worked out!