Old 08-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #21
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

uhmmmm, still a hexagon

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #22
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Well, I picked up the yarn donated to my local humane society and also stopped and picked up some red heart acrylic to do some blankets. I have started the first blanket 3 times 'cuz i started with too small needles then didn't cast on enough, now that I am using bigger needles, I think the bugger is definitely going to be big dog sized !
I think to keep in the loop of things, I'll do the smaller blankets "dishcloth" style on crib blanket size. More manageable for carrying my project(s) to work during the week.
I'll see if I can gain some speed and use this project to practice continental.
Way to go everyone participating, keep on keepin' on!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 AM   #23
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

I am currently converting what was supposed to be a cushion cover for DH into my pet bed...The yarn was just too bulky for the cushion cover, but it'll nice and warm and cuddly for a dog or a kitty. I think I'm going to recycle one of dh's old tshirts into an insert that I can fill with cedar to put inside... Now I just have to get started on the ones for my doggies -altho they prefer to crawl under the bed and sleep, or laysprawled out on the floor so we trip over them in the middle of the night :rollseyes:

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #24
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Great idea, PHM!!!! I was wondering how to add cedar chips--I never thought about using a tshirt!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #25
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

My Kitty Pi Bed is blocking!!!

This was SUCH a fun project; I think I'm going to make a second one, so I have one for my own cat, and one for the shelter!

This was my most successful project to date using my own home-spun yarn. I'm rather an amateur at spinning, and my yarn is not very even. With a felted project like this, you totally can't tell it's unneven! Love it! I'll definitely be using my home-spun for felted projects in the future!

I used size 11 needles, and followed the pattern exactly. Great pattern. The only thing I added was to thread the CO tail through a tapestry needle and run it through the CO stitches and pull tight to close the little hole at the center. It took a full 1/2 hour of agitation time in the wash to felt to size with my particular yarn. I've put a 12" ruler in the photos for reference. I'll try to get a photo tonight of my kitty trying it out tonight. Until then, here are the photos of my progress....

Pre-felting:

Felted:

Blocking!
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #26
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Nice job!
Unfortunately for my animal shelter project, my dog has developed an attachment to chewing my 13's - not any other needles, just the 13's that I need for this project... I came home, and she had taken the needle out to chew on - of course it was the one with all the stuitches on it - and there was yarn everywhere I went from having almost 20 inches of this pillow done, to having about 6 inches... :crying:
Good thing it's only garter stitch, I whipped most of it back up the same night, now it's just time to seam and stuff!!

ever notice when you're working on a bunch of stuff, you tend to finish it all around the same time- and then you have nothing left to work on??

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #27
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by punkhippiemom
I went from having almost 20 inches of this pillow done, to having about 6 inches... :crying:
Oh nooooo, Rebecca! :(

If it's any consolation, this is the second time I've knit this cat bed, and the first time was a TOTAL FLOP. Literally, it flopped: didn't have any sides to speak of. It was my own attempt at designing a kitty bed pattern, and, ironically, it was NEARLY IDENTICAL to the Kitty Pi pattern, because I, too, based it on EZ's circle method (without having read the Kitty Pi pattern!). But I made it too big, and it was quite pathetic. But I did enjoy the knitting of it; I'm geeky that way.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #28
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I got lots of pictures of Miss Coo walking away from the bed :rollseyes: after my numerous attempts to put her in it (shouldn't have chosen her dinner time to try). Finally, after dinner, she came back and made herself at home.

Yay, she likes it! :sunny:
....Guess I'll be making a second one!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #29
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

I'll have to make my Bubba one, too - I like the one I'm doing for the shelter (like I said, it's just a pillow, easy peasy) but I know how cats like to curl up and snuggle...
Quote:
Literally, it flopped: didn't have any sides to speak of.
That's funny - I love designing my own stuff, but occassionally, you just have to trust the experts... Or improvise! You could have folded the sides over and stuffed them to make a nice squishy rim, like a kitty-filled donut! That's the best part of making mistakes; getting creative to make it work anyway! I'm geeky that way (:

My Patterns - so far
Old 08-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #30
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Kewl kitty bed!!! Lucky you, your cat actually uses the gifts intended for her. I bought a cute little play set/lounge thingy for dear old Smoke and Ocelot. Well - they decided to pee all over it. I guess that was their way of saying they didn't like it? I made a wonton for them; I've haven't seen since I gave it to them. I think they hid it from me and secretly played with it in the night. But as for beds and such ... no no ... Hmm... considering the fate of the play set/lounge, I shudder to think of what they'll do to a knitted bed.

...go'head Miss Coo ... work it ... own it ... be one with your beddy bed

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote