Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Jamie
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Jamie Send a message via MSN to Jamie Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie
Very Beginning Knitter--Confused
:thinking:

Hi! My name is Jamie; I'm a university student in Pennsylvania (US).

I am ***just*** learning how to knit. I am new to the point that I am not even sure what terms to use to describe my problems. But, I think that I describe it OK below.

By new, I mean that I learned how to do a slip knot onto my needle two days ago, and yesterday I got my very first "row" of stitches onto the needle. Aka, I have my pretty golden orange needle, which has a number 8 on the silver round end. This needle now has a series of twenty navy blue loops around it which I **believe** are correct stitches. Based on the videos on the website, I have done "Double Cast-On," aka "Long-Tail Cast-On," aka "Continental Cast-On."

Now... I have no idea what to do. I have tried to look at other videos, but there are so many and don't know where to go. Also, in the videos, the knitter already seems to have a few rows. I just have yarn stitched, or cast onto, or whatever, my needle. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am trying to use some books, too. They recommend a knit stitch. My one book, to be precise, says: "Lesson 2: Knit stitch (k)."

I'm sorry for being so confusing. I may just post again in a bit, but hopefully, someone can at least point me to the proper video.

I *have* joined some knitting groups in my area, but none of them meet for about a week, and I am incredibly eager to learn something on my own.

Thank you all for your patience!!!!

~Jamie~
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

A "cast on" stitch is basically a fountation... a way to get loops onto the needles. From there you will knit!

I would look under basic techniques at a "knit" stitch. You will need to watch either continential or english style. Both have same result... just a different style.

After you have mastered that work on "purl".

Oh! Hi there and welcome to knitting and to the site!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Jamie
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Jamie Send a message via MSN to Jamie Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie
Hmmm....
Thank you. Which of those two would you recommend that I start with, though? I tend to be a very literal person, and am afraid of picking the "wrong" one, or one that will end up making knitting more difficult for myself in the long run.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Honestly... I would learn Continental! I just swiched from English to continental and I LOVE it! I think it is easier and (eventually!) faster!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi Jamie,

Welcome! This is a very friendly place, with lots of new knitters. I'd check out Amy's videos first. They're in the basic techniques section on this site.

I like English myself (probably because that was how I was taught), but I'm working on learning continental knitting for two color work - a few steps down the road for you.

Watch the video a few times, then try a few stitches along with Amy. If you have any questions we're here for you!

HAPPY KNITTING :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Jamie
Casting On

:) OK! :)
Why thank you! I think that I will use continental, then. Actually, that probably makes a lot of sense, since I think I used contintental cast on.

Another silly question, if you please.... I am at work, and don't have sound. I'm watching the continental knitting video, and can't tell if she is holding the tail in her left hand or not. If that's not the tail, where do I put it? :( My tail is about six inches too long.

Should I cut it off? Just make more cast ons (is that a word) until it's shorter?

~Jamie~
Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Jamie
Casting On

Thank you both!
I am surprised ANYONE has written back so quickly.

I'm not sure what's gotten into me, but I am so excited and really want to do this.

:D
Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Jamie
Casting On

ANOTHER question....
I can't tell from the video (of Amy?) ....

On my cast on, I have... well, this: I have my needle. On one side of the needle is a ridge, almost, of yarn. It almost looks like a neat little braid running along the needle.

On the other side is just single loops wrapped around the needle.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ loops
------------------ needle
************* braidy-type ridge

So now... which side shuld I be trying to make my stitches on? On the simple loops, or on the tight little braidy side?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi Jamie,

Amy's holding the working yarn in her left hand. The tail just hangs there until you're done with the object, then gets woven in on the wrong side of the knitting.

I wouldn't cut the tail any shorter than 4 " at this point. If you're making an object that's going to be seamed up like a sweater at the sides, you can sometimes leaving an intentionally loooong tail, and use it to sew the side seams.

Good luck!

Mary
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Make your new stitches on the loops.

You put the right hand needle into the first loop on the left hand needle, wrap the yarn around the right needle point and pull it through the left hand loop, then you drop the left hand loop off the needle and you now have a new stitch on the right hand needle.

The cast on ridge will be the bottom edge of your knitting.

Keep trying!

Mary