Old 08-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
The "braidy type ridge" will end up being a border for your work. You should have that needle in your left hand with the cast on edge hanging down. As you knit, your work will "grow" downward. Don't panic! We are here for you.

And to anticipate your next question: When you work with just the knit stitch, the pattern is called "garter stitch". It wil be very ridgey and bumpy.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #12
Julie
Instepping Out

When you have a little spare time, I recommend watching this video -- Amy does a small project from cast-on to bind-off, so you can see the whole project. :D
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #13
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Julie
When you have a little spare time, I recommend watching this video -- Amy does a small project from cast-on to bind-off, so you can see the whole project. :D
I forgot she added that! I agree... watch that!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #14
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Re: Very Beginning Knitter--Confused
Originally Posted by Jamie
:thinking:

Hi! My name is Jamie; I'm a university student in Pennsylvania (US).

I am ***just*** learning how to knit. ... I learned how to do a slip knot onto my needle two days ago, and yesterday I got my very first "row" of stitches onto the needle. Aka, I have my pretty golden orange needle, which has a number 8 on the silver round end. This needle now has a series of twenty navy blue loops around it which I **believe** are correct stitches. Based on the videos on the website, I have done "Double Cast-On," aka "Long-Tail Cast-On," aka "Continental Cast-On."

Now... I have no idea what to do. I have tried to look at other videos, but there are so many and don't know where to go. Also, in the videos, the knitter already seems to have a few rows. I just have yarn stitched, or cast onto, or whatever, my needle. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am trying to use some books, too. They recommend a knit stitch. My one book, to be precise, says: "Lesson 2: Knit stitch (k)."

I'm sorry for being so confusing. I may just post again in a bit, but hopefully, someone can at least point me to the proper video.

I *have* joined some knitting groups in my area, but none of them meet for about a week, and I am incredibly eager to learn something on my own.

Thank you all for your patience!!!!

~Jamie~
Welcome to the site and the forums Jamie. It's good to have you here. Take it from someone who is using this site (and it's members) to learn knitting (I only started back in April).

Why thank you! I think that I will use continental, then. Actually, that probably makes a lot of sense, since I think I used contintental cast on.
FYI... You can do an English knit with a "continental" cast on. It doesn't make any difference.

The advantage to learn English knitting is: it is the more common way of knitting. Many people find it easier to learn tension control doing English knitting.

The advantage to learning Continental knitting, is movement reduction. It's a little harder to learn because of learning tension (for most people) but in the long run, Continental Knitting is supposed to be faster because there is less movement. You aren't letting go of the needles like you would with English knitting.

The truth is this: which ever way best works for you is what you should be learning. I went to a local knitting group for the first time last week and one girl there, was doing English knitting faster than some of the people doing Continental. By the same token, for most people, Continental is faster. Personally, after trying out both, I chose to concentrate on learning the Continental style of knitting and yes, I'm still dealing with tension issues. So there are a lot of English knitters that are still faster than I am.

Anyway, at this stage, you have a couple of options I would personally suggest.

One, learn how to knit. Take a look at the continental video if that's your choice. Watch it over and over. Then continue doing exactly what you have been doing, reading other sources and asking questions.

Two, you have a couple of great intro projects you can use to practice. Most people, to learn the Knit stitch, make a scarf. A project you can do to practice Cast On and Bind Off is this.

Welcome and good luck. :-)

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #15
Jamie
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Jamie Send a message via MSN to Jamie Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie
ENORMOUS THANK YOU
I DID IT, I DID IT! GUYS, I DID IT!

I cast on. Then I knitted a ROW. Now I am on my SECOND ROW!

It umm... it looks really bad. Some stitches look neat. But some, um... look very fat and lumpy.

I think I am learning what is meant by "tension." It feels very strange to type after using my hands to knit.

I need to make a journal somewhere or something so I can record what has confused me, what has helped, etc.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

That sounds about right! My first few projects were far from pretty But so cool! YAY you! Welcome to the adiction we call knitting
Old 08-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Re: ENORMOUS THANK YOU
I DID IT, I DID IT! GUYS, I DID IT!

I cast on. Then I knitted a ROW. Now I am on my SECOND ROW!

It umm... it looks really bad. Some stitches look neat. But some, um... look very fat and lumpy.

I think I am learning what is meant by "tension." It feels very strange to type after using my hands to knit.

I need to make a journal somewhere or something so I can record what has confused me, what has helped, etc.

CONGRATS!!!

As for the journal.... :-) Go check out the Blogs on this site and start one of your own. That's what they are... weBlogs (online journals) and it will be in a convenient place that you're gonna wanna visit often anyway. :-)

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #18
MaryS
Turning the Heel

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You are now OFFICIALLY a knitter!

Now comes the obsession :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Yay Jamie! So glad you found Amy's site. If it's not already too late, I vote for learning continental. It's faster in the long run and really no more difficult than learning english. It's all just what you get use to.

RE blog thread...you can also do an offsite blog through many different services. There are TONS of knitting blogs out there some of which are very helpful to a beginner.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #20
Jamie
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Jamie Send a message via MSN to Jamie Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie
Hmm... another silly question....
In one hour, I get off of work. I have been knitting (sort of) here AT work.

I have a bag of sorts, but what is the best way to carry my knitting? Of course, one needle will be empty, but the other will have stitches on it.

Is there an easy way to keep the stitches there? Should I just use a baggie clip or something?

~Jamie~
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote