Old 08-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #21
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
You could use a baggie clip...we're all for creative solutions here! They do sell point protectors though for that purpose. I've also seen things that look like the rubbery thing that goes around a pencil to prevent calluses used.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #22
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi Jamie,

I really like rubber point protectors. You can usually get a bag of 4 to 6 for about $1.25 at Joann or Michaels. I have 2 different sizes marked small and large, (so creative) that are useful for almost any size needle. With your size 8s I'd use a large.

Really good temporary point protector - use a rubber band and twist it around the needle point. This works for any size needle. :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #23
Jamie
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Jamie Send a message via MSN to Jamie Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie
Wow, all I can say to everyone is thanks. I think I might actually have some point protectors at home, but I didn't realize it until it was explained here.

My mom gave me the needles when I mentioned that I wanted to start knitting. She gave me a few other things, include little rubber things, that I didn't think I had a use for. :rollseyes:
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #24
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I wouldn't have known what they were before I started knitting either! They don't really look like anything that would be related to knitting when you see them the first time.

Cool that you have a job where you can knit!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #25
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

one care tip for your knitting that i had to learn the hard way...

KEEP YOUR PROJECTS AWAY FROM DOGGIES!!

i keep forgetting this one, and my husband keeps putting my projects on top of the tv armoire to keep them out of doggy mouths...but the problem is that I'm too short so I can't reach them either. Quite a site - short girl with a dog on either side all looking to the top of the armoire for yarn....

(continental, continental, continental...)

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #26
kemp
Grafting the Toe

That is a great tip! I have been pretty lucky so far that my dogs haven't gotten any projects...just some yarn and thankfully the cheapo wool that I got on ebay!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #27
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Hooray for you! As far as bags go, anything will do, really. Except that you should avoid zippers and velcro, because they might snag your yarn. There are a number of bags out there marketed for knitters specifically, but they can be rather pricey, if you browse this forum a bit you'll find some discussions about them. I have done a great deal of thinking about what I want in a bag. Too much thinking, actually. I even bought fabric to make one and yet I still just use whatever old tote bag I have on hand.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #28
kemp
Grafting the Toe

I used a felted tote to carry my knitting in. Felting can be a great first project since it hides mistakes really well and when you are finished you have a great kniting bag for your stuff.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #29
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Re: Hmm... another silly question....
Originally Posted by Jamie
In one hour, I get off of work. I have been knitting (sort of) here AT work.

I have a bag of sorts, but what is the best way to carry my knitting?
Honestly, the best way is what works for you. Lots of people on here use something they knit. Some people may have purchased a cheap knitting bag until they find something better. If you have something that's working, go ahead and use it, until you find a bag that makes you go, "That's my knitting bag."

For me, my bag is an old backpack with lots of pockets. (But I'm a guy and didnt want something too girly.) ;-) Others on here use plastic bags, like the ones you get from Wal*Mart.

Originally Posted by Jamie
what is the best way to carry my knitting? Of course, one needle will be empty, but the other will have stitches on it.

Is there an easy way to keep the stitches there? Should I just use a baggie clip or something?

~Jamie~
If you have a small chip clip that can work for temporary. Many of the starter knitting kits, (I bought a complete starter kit from wally-world (Wal*Mart) for about $11), come with a rubber stopper (or two) included that fits over the needle point which keeps the yarn from sliding off.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #30
SydneyLove
Casting On

Hello all...

I am also very new to knitting just started about two weeks ago and instead of starting a new post I thought it would be okay to just add it here. Okay so the problem I'm having thus far is when you bind off at the very end how do you completely end it. Right now I'm just messing with a few differnet stitches and I've decided to work on binding off but when I get to the end there is two loops (is that the right term?) one on each needle. What do I do to cap it off basically?

Oh and when I am kniting from one side to the next the stitches are so tight it's hard for me to go to next row. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Jamie, it is totally addictive! Thanks for putting this post up I was a little nervous to do one myself, good luck!

Sydney
SydneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote