Old 08-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Help with a pattern - Double Knitting
I am making a pair of the angora baby booties (yummy yarn ) out of the Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Well I shouldn't say I am making them since I haven't started. I can't figure out these directions for anything.

She starts out with an introduction saying that she uses a technique called double knitting, "which is a way to knit in the round with just two needles"

No here are the directions fo the Toe

"CO 24 sts. *K1, slip 1; repeat from * to end. Repeat this row until piece measures 2 # from beginning, working an even number of rows so both layers of the double knit tow will be equal. To keep the edges looking nice, at the beginning of each row after the CO row, insert needle into first st, take the working yarn under right-hand and around to the back of the work, then knit the first st."

I watched Amy's double knitting video and I am still lost. I really want to make these booties for a girlfriend. HELP!!!!!!

Looking ahead after this part she directs you to "redistribute the sts to open the two up into its two individual layers."
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Mer
Working the Gusset

I haven't made these, but I think that once you start them it will make more sense. She uses a different technique than amy does in her video. In these booties, you're basically just knitting one side of the double layer at a time. I don't know if that's helpful at all, but I say try it! If you follow the instructions word for word, it should be fine.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Carolyn407
Casting On

It seems to me that there is not enough information here (of course, it may all have been explained earlier in the pattern).

Double knitting is worked like this:

All rows: *K1, sl 1 pw wyif; repeat from * to end.

(This means: knit 1, slip 1 purlwise (as if to purl) with yarn in front.)

You will be passing your yarn back and forth between the needles as when working k1,p1 ribbing. Both sides will be worked at once, and will present a stockinette face on each side. You will actually be knitting a bag. If you were to cast off normally, the bag would be closed on all four sides. If you place alternate stitches on two needles and cast off separately, the bag will be open on the top. If you find places where the front and back of the bag are stuck together, that means you made a mistake in the pattern at that point.

Double knitting isn't difficult; it's just fiddly. It's easy to make a mistake if you get distracted.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn
Carolyn407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Mer
I haven't made these, but I think that once you start them it will make more sense. She uses a different technique than amy does in her video. In these booties, you're basically just knitting one side of the double layer at a time. I don't know if that's helpful at all, but I say try it! If you follow the instructions word for word, it should be fine.
So if i am knitting each side individually I knit into every other stitch and the turn the work knitting into the stitches I didn't knit into the first time? This would be one round. Is that correct?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Mer
Working the Gusset

I think that is basically it--Carolyn's answer might help you too.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Carolyn407
It seems to me that there is not enough information here (of course, it may all have been explained earlier in the pattern).
Carolyn
Unfortunately I quoted her pattern word for word. And these are the first steps of the pattern. There is NO explanation.

Do I cast on as normal or is there a different method of casting on? The pattern is only for one color knitting. Not like in Amy's video.

Quote:
Double knitting is worked like this:

All rows: *K1, sl 1 pw wyif; repeat from * to end.

(This means: knit 1, slip 1 purlwise (as if to purl) with yarn in front.)

You will be passing your yarn back and forth between the needles as when working k1,p1 ribbing. Both sides will be worked at once, and will present a stockinette face on each side. You will actually be knitting a bag. If you were to cast off normally, the bag would be closed on all four sides. If you place alternate stitches on two needles and cast off separately, the bag will be open on the top. If you find places where the front and back of the bag are stuck together, that means you made a mistake in the pattern at that point.
I am still not sure if I get this. Sounds to me that I will end up wraping the tail of the yarn around the sliped stitch, since I will have to knit the next one correct. I am about to try it out and see. This woman's pattern writing skills are definatly lacking. :?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

OK...that definately did not seem to work. HELP!!!!! I may just have to take it to my LYS for help, because I seem to be very dense today.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
These were the same kinds of directions that I had for the DK hats I made...I ignored that part & just knit with one color & alternately purled the other like Amy does in the video. Goes much faster that way...
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KellyK
These were the same kinds of directions that I had for the DK hats I made...I ignored that part & just knit with one color & alternately purled the other like Amy does in the video. Goes much faster that way...
Is the cast on different? One of my difficulties is that I am only using one color and one ball of yarn. I won't have two working yarns like in amy's two color double knitting video.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Working with one color should make the cast on EASIER...you dont have to worry about alternating two colors! Just CO as the pattern says...then replace the slipping every other st with knit one with one hand, purl one with the other...I tend to knit conti & purl english when I DK.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote