Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
GlenBoRTR
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to GlenBoRTR
I'm a lefty too... Never had any problems adapting to knitting the "right" way... I think that (in the beginning) knitting is a bit ackward. So whatever way she it taught, she'll pick up on easily.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #12
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was curious at how things were going with your left handed daughter.

I am left handed. I taught myself to crochet 10 years ago...right handed...because that is how the book read. I don't really move the crochet hook, I move the yarn.

Learning to knit was hard at first because I could not change how I hold the yarn. This site was a God-send for showing me the Continental method. Since I already was comfortable with holding the yarn in my left hand it came smoothly.

I would recommend the Continental method because she can control the yarn with her dominate left hand and still read "normal right-handed" patterns with out problems.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I reccommend Continental too. I'm a Left-handed knitter, but what I find is that I use my left hand almost entirely for tension. Usually, if the needle is long enough, it just rests in my fingers and is held against my left hip while my right hand does all the moving.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
cnutter
Casting On

I am a left handed knitter and was taught by my mother a right hander.... My mother just mirrored for me and I learned just fine. When I need help I usually get help from a right hander and convert it in my head... I have lived 41 years in a right handed world and have surrived just fine... Your daughter will be okay... let her learn the way that is easiest for her! I have found that over the year tying to do something right handed because it was easier for the "teacher" confused me even more. Please let your chil knit left handed! :XX:
cnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #15
EmilyKaye
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to EmilyKaye
Hi Everybody! I just saw this and had to post. I am left handed, as well as my mom. She taught me to crochet when I was about 12, and I've recently taught myself knitting. I do both left handed, and Like someone else sain, I've gotten so used to flipping it in my head, its not a problem anymore! I think it's great that you're teaching your daughter something that you can do together. Whether she does it lefty or righty, continental or english, it's the passing on of knowledge and the time that the two of you can spend together thats the most important! I hope that both of you enjoy that time together as much as my mother and I did!
EmilyKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
KnitObsesser
Ribbing the Cuff

Part of the Lefty List
Hello,

Yeah, I'm left handed also and my instructor taught me the right-handed way because she had no idea on how to use the left-handed way.
KnitObsesser is offline   Reply With Quote