Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
luvsun27
Casting On

Merged: New here....circular needles/Circular needles
Hi all...this is my first post here. I am going to attempt a baby blanket....this is my first major project. The pattern says to cast on 135 stitches...the lady at AC Moore recommended I get circular needles for this project....but how do I use them? So confused.....thanks.
luvsun27 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
You'd use them the same as you would two separate needles. When you finish knitting one row of 135, switch the needles in your hand and work another row in the opposite direction.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Because there are so many stitches on your cast on, she probably recommended the circular needles for the length. Just knit across using one tip to knit into the other tip. Then turn the whole thing around to knit back the other way. You'll have to slide your work from one end of the needle to the other to get at the first stitch of the next row.

The main purpose of circs is to knit things round and round, but I don't think this is the case here.

And welcome! :D

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
luvsun27
Casting On

LOL...ok...but when the little part of the needle gets too many stitches...do I pust them onto the plastic wire part? They seem so huge sitting on there, I'm afraid they will get knotted or something? Am I being stupid...I know....but I just don't want to mess this up! Thanks.
luvsun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by luvsun27
LOL...ok...but when the little part of the needle gets too many stitches...do I pust them onto the plastic wire part? They seem so huge sitting on there, I'm afraid they will get knotted or something? Am I being stupid...I know....but I just don't want to mess this up! Thanks.
Yep...you got it. Just push the sts onto the wire (the cable) and keep on knitting. That's what the cable is for and no worries, the sts won't get tangled

Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Just let them slide down to the cable. They won't get knotted and they'll retain their shape.

If your cable is curled, put it in hot water for a few minutes to straighten it out.

BTW There is no stupid here. Just uninformed!!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
yup just let them run down on to the wire. that's what it is there for! and a real nice advantage of circs is no more digging around under the couch to find the needle when you drop it! i learned on circs and have never used straights (except for flex shafts!)....never will either!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

ek--you and I are playing 'Dueling Answers'--good thing we have the same answers, though, isn't it!!

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Ingrid
ek--you and I are playing 'Dueling Answers'--good thing we have the same answers, though, isn't it!!

Old 08-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by brendajos
i learned on circs and have never used straights...never will either!
I agree ... ever since I learned to use circs, I don't like to use straights anymore. And I totally can't wait to get my interchangeable set.