Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #31
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

I am about halfway on the winged wheel... Slow going right now, because I'm up to my ears in baby presents (SIL due in Nov., sister's due in Dec. :rollseyes: ) and Christmas stuff right now, but I'll be sure and let you know when I finish it.
I got the pic from the Flyer's website, cut and pasted what I wanted onto knitters graph paper from Brown Fox Fibers that I had converted into a bitmap image. (Here's a tip - once you have it saved as a bmp, use the fill feature in paint to makes the lines gray, rather than black - much easier to see on top of your image)

The photo sits on top of the graph paper, and I just connected the graph lines using the line drawing feature, then filled in the boxes completely with whatever color was mostly present in the box. I went back and tweaked it a little (because the image wasn't exactly even) and there you have the Flyer's chart. The Wings chart is a lot (!!!!) harder than the Flyer's chart was, because of the circles...

This takes a lot of time, but was pretty rewarding in the end. Another good way that I've heard of is to get your graph paper printed on a transparency (like they use for overhead projecters) - because that way you can just lay it over the pic you want to chart, and wipe it clean when you're finished with it.

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #32
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I keep checking in on this thread. I'm really anxious to see your finished project.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #33
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi PHM,

When you get the Red Wings Wheel done I'd love a copy of the chart too!

I'm not much of a hockey fan, (college football is my sport), but oldest DD and DS are both HUGE Wings fans.
DS's room was wallpapered in Wings logos!

To JGM and cheesiesmom, I'm in Troy!

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #34
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cheesiesmom
I keep checking in on this thread. I'm really anxious to see your finished project.
I better get to work then.... Picking up the yarn fo DBIL's hat today... They have Simply Soft in orange- altho it may be a bit bright for the Flyer's logo, it'll have to work, it's the only orange I've seen! (You would think with it being fall and all, that orange and burgundy and navy would be all over the place, but noooooo.....)

Worked some more on the Wings logo, it's either gonna be huge or it'll have to be worked in DK or sportweight... I hate teeny needles...

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
Old 09-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #35
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Hey MaryS/JMG,

I'm in Macomb Township (M-59 corridor). What lys do you frequent?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #36
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
LOL! LYS! ...my lys thus far in my short knitting career has been Meijer and Walmart (but only because Meijer didn't have a color I needed!). I started out knitting with acrylic because I didn't know any better and it was cheap. Anyways, I recently received an order from Knitpicks so you can breathe easier. I did find a LYS in downtown Rochester called Skeins on Main that looked pretty cool. I only walked around a few times because I was too intimidated/naive to buy anything. Other than Michael's and JoAnn's, that's about the limit of my knowledge on LYSs.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #37
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

I'm getting all nostalgic reading this... I lived in Oakland County for almost twenty years, basically my whole life .... check out Ferndale, if you don't mind driving that far, and possibly Clarkston... They were always good for those crafty little stores...

My Patterns - so far
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #38
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

OK, maybe not, but I found this one in W Bloomfield - - - oooh, and this one is actually in Macomb...

My Patterns - so far
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #39
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

My DD's current flame just bought a house on Harris in Ferndale. So, I imagine she'll be spending a lot of time there. Ferndale's become quite the 'in' place and it's cheaper than Royal Oak.

I live right near Crafty Lady. They're very nice, although I must admit I get intimidated by all these places, too. But, it's fun just walking around the store and squeezing the yarn. I get my needles there, because they have such a nice assortment of bamboo. I bought some Plymouth Sunsette (cotton blend) for a shrug that I made for my DD. The hand of the yarn was to die for. It only took 2 skeins so it wasn't a great big investment. I think in November, Sally Melville is going to be at the store for a personal appearance. I have her first book "Knit Stitch" and am wondering if I could get in for an autograph.

I also found Indigo Rose at Van Dyke and 17 Mile. They are really nice and really helpful. Lot's of goodies there too.

My DD works in Birmingham and says there are a couple of places there and in R.O., but again, I think I might be intimidated not so much by the skill level as by the money level. Somehow I don't think I'd feel comfortable at a "country club" yarn shop.

The Meijer's by me never has a lot, I refuse to shop at Walmart (it's a political thingy), so Joann's and Michael are really my mainstay, too. I tend to be addicted to Lion Brand because they have some nice yarns at reasonable prices (I love Wool-ease; but not Homespun). I like Knitpicks, but the local places are really necessary for a quick yarn fix!!

PHM, as I get older, I can't imagine anyone getting nostalgic over a Michigan Winter (3 months away). The only good thing about it is...
HOCKEY SEASON!!!

I'm wondering if I could do the winged wheel for a pillow for my DS. We'll have to see. I'm not too sure about my abilities.

How nice to find not only knitting addicts here, but Wingnuts, too!! :D
Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #40
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Trust me, I'll take a MI winter over a Florida summer any year!!

oh yeah, hockey season, I can almost taste it....
Attached Images:

My Patterns - so far