Old 08-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Cynthia Blue
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to Cynthia Blue Send a message via AIM to Cynthia Blue Send a message via MSN to Cynthia Blue
Ribbing & The Sweater Workshop
Has anyone read The Sweater Workshop? It's great so far. I want to knit some sweaters, and so I am learning. The only thing I've knitted so far is a scarf (Harry Potter / Ravenclaw - Scarf Pics) which went really well.

Anyway, I'm doing the Sampler she has in the book, and the stockinette and garter stitches went really well. Now I'm on to the ribbing, and it's the first ribbing I"ve ever done.

I don't have a picture, but my K1P1 ribbing is totally completely loose! It looks pretty poor. Unlike the book.

I'm using a 5mm circular with worsted weight wool yarn for my practice (tried some cheap yarn and kept splitting threads, wasn't worth it). So maybe I need a smaller kneedle? It's the same size as I used for the stockinetter and garter.

I was just wondering why my ribbing is so darn loose. I also did the K1bP1 ribbing, which looks really nice. And I'm trying K2P2 ribbing now, which looks just as loose as the K1P1 ribbing.

Hrmph. I'm not very good at Purling yet, my scarf was all knit stitching.

Thanks!
Cynthia Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Cynthia Blue
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to Cynthia Blue Send a message via AIM to Cynthia Blue Send a message via MSN to Cynthia Blue
I took a picture of my sampler... see how the K1P1 Ribbing is very loose?

Hrm...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sampler01.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	20962  
Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Nice work. Aw...no worries about the loose ribbing. That all comes w/ tension & practice!! Knit'awn dudette!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Actually your k1p1 ribbing looks good. Your k2p2 looks like maybe you forgot to move the yarn back and forth at the appropriate time. That's common when you start ribbing, but it doesn't look like a tension problem from the pic.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Cynthia Blue
Casting On

Cool thanks for the input. I'll work with some different sized needles too and see how it goes.

I have another question.. what on earth is a Chain Selvedge? I tried to follow the book to do it last night.. and was completely lost. :P I gotta learn more of these terms.

And what is a placket?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Chain Sleaveage? :thinking: Well, chain is a crochet term and one thing I can think of that looks kind of like a chain is slipping the first st of each row instead of working the st. I think that will make the edge look like a crochet chain ...

:thinking: Any other takers please???

And ... placket? :thinking: Webster's Thoughts

Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Chain selvedge is when you slip the first stitch of every row purl-wise and knit the last stitch of every row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Whoo-hoo! me know how knit!