Old 08-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
AidanM
Turning the Heel

The Cursed Project
Have any of you ever started a cursed project? One that fought you every step of the way? Did it seem that the very needles in your handles attempted to betray your every stitch? One where every flick of your wrists was another experience in frustration?

I, actually, have not. My projects thus far have by and large co-operated nicely. But I'd love to hear what the more experienced have been through..
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i actually have a baby bootie that was nearly a small pile of yarn in the garbage because it was driving me nuts! The first bootie was perfect....the second bootie i frogged twice and never thought i would get it finished. i was almost afraid to give it to someone just in case it really was a cursed bootie i decided it probably wasn't...lol
Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
The sweater that my avatar comes from (to see the whole thing, it's on the www link) was my comedy of errors. First I knit the side panels backwards so instead of forming a V like they were supposed to I had //. Frogged it.

Then I got up to where I had to add the Celtic symbol and I could not get it centered both on the front and back. Realized I was off by a pattern repeat. Took it off the needles to frog again and tried it on 'just to see' It was like a sausage skin! So in a way it was good that I had that problem.

Third time was a charm. Except when I cut into the actual sweater as I was cutting the steek in the wee hours of the morning. I yelled so loud I woke my daughter at the other end of the house. She thought I cut myself. I almost wish I had--I would have healed. I had to sew the sweater. It survived, thankfully!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: The Cursed Project
Originally Posted by AidanM
Have any of you ever started a cursed project? One that fought you every step of the way? Did it seem that the very needles in your handles attempted to betray your every stitch? One where every flick of your wrists was another experience in frustration?

I, actually, have not. My projects thus far have by and large co-operated nicely. But I'd love to hear what the more experienced have been through..
Alas, I have one of those on the needles now. It's not that it's difficult; in fact, it extremely easy. But so .... bloody ... BORING! :rollseyes: It's the Envelope Afghan. It's been on the needles since March!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Oh, yes. Any boring project carries it's own curse!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Ingrid
Oh, yes. Any boring project carries it's own curse!
You darn tootin' !

Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
ugh...three abandoned afghans later i have to agree. and whenever someone says they are having a baby i want to knit them an afghan...but i just can't do it and hope to have it done by the time they graduate college because i just can't get excited about them. mebbe i should do a patchwork one and then sew it together...hrmmm...there's an idea
Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by brendajos
ugh...three abandoned afghans later i have to agree. and whenever someone says they are having a baby i want to knit them an afghan...but i just can't do it and hope to have it done by the time they graduate college because i just can't get excited about them. mebbe i should do a patchwork one and then sew it together...hrmmm...there's an idea
I don't have this boredom problem w/ baby blankets, just with some full sized afghans. But I've noticed that the boredom doesn't set in until I memorize the pattern. I never had the problem with patterns that I didn't memorize... :thinking: So I guess it's time for ekgheiy to start picking more complex patterns ... I'm afraid ...