Old 08-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Hardest part about frogging
is putting back on the needle. Inevitably, I lose many more rows, and the end stitches never do end up looking right. I have tried Amy's inserting the needle, and all that has done is mess me up worse....

I am working with a noro kureyon, and its a thick thin yarn in places, not to mention color changes. I just ended up losing at least 6 inches of sweater when I should have lost one....and, as mentioned above, after numerous attempts and additional lost rows, I got all the stitches on but the last one, and it just doesnt look right, so I dont know what is happening, if its frogging into the next row (and I tried so so so hard to not let it do that) or what.

I am going to have to go into LYS tomorrow before I work on it further---i am already so upset I am trying not to cry and I dont want to lose more rows just to fix one stitch, but my several attempts at fixing it did not help, in fact probably made it worse.

Is this just something I need to practice on? Will I ever get it? I tried undoing stitch by stitch, very hard to do with the kureyon thick thin, and already I could tell there were places I had messed up on, so I had watched Amy's video's last night....tried to do the cable this am.....and it was a total disaster....with the thick thin you just can't see where the rows are...so then just tried to reinsert the needles.....and had numerous dropped stitches...........

If there was one thing that would make me stop knitting, it would be this. Am I the only one that has this problem??
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Trying to frog with a 'novelty' yarn is difficult, at best. My only suggestion is to pop out one stitch at a time so you can see the loop that results and then pick it up with your needle. It's tedious, but may be the only way.

Another suggestion is to set it aside for a while and knit with a regular yarn just to get more of a feel for what stitches look like and how to make corrections. Then you can apply that knowledge to a more difficult yarn.

Hang in there. It's supposed to be fun.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
If I have to frog, I go stitch by stitch, especially with a novelty yarn. Noro is pretty pricey isn't it? If so, I would reccomend playing with a more inexpensive novelty yarn to get a feel for making mistakes with it, so you're not out as much if it gets tangled beyond repair.

My biggest pet peeve is making a mistake with fun fur...oh man does that stuff tangle!!!
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Yeah, I know, and I love the knitting part of it, I do......I guess the best thing to do is make a big test swatch that I can frog and redo until I master this part of it.....with this stupid Noro stuff, I did try to undo stitch by stitch, and because of the thick thin part, even that didnt work right last night.

At least I am able to work on the OTHER side of the sweater, until I get into LYS and ask her whats up with that last stupid stitch ....that has always been my biggest problem with the frogging, always. I seem to remember some tip about a safety pin, but can't remember where you are supposed to put it.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

The only thing I've ever heard about a safety pin is to keep track of right and wrong sides, especially in garter.

What I would probably do if only the one stitch was giving me problems and I didn't think it would run, would be to let it go and then make a new one next row. But that's just me. I cheat!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

There's actually a good article on TINKing and ripping (TINK is "KNIT" backwards). Anyway, check it out here:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TT.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
kitkat
Working the Gusset

My problem last night with the stitch by stitch may have been the lighting. I need to get an ott light to work by in the evening I think.

Marnie, I bookmarked that spot, and will not give up on that technique of inserting the needle where you want to rip to. Luckily with my Denises, I am able to move on in this project.....but I may give it a rest tonight and work on the afghan that never ends (which was the worst test of my frogging abilities ever, over and over....until I started inserting lifelines!!!)
Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
Originally Posted by kitkat
Luckily with my Denises, I am able to move on in this project...
Denise can solve all of your problems...

Like your Noro problem, if it's too much trouble SEND IT TO ME!

Denise say, having a bad day? Eat a brownie.

Denise say, having needle trouble? SEND THEM TO ME!

See how GREAT Denise is???
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

What a generous gesture! Your altruism is overwhelming. :rollseyes:

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Denise, thank you so much for your generous offer! Who knows, if the PMS gets really bad I just might take you up on it!!!!