Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Aby
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via ICQ to Aby Send a message via AIM to Aby Send a message via Yahoo to Aby
New Orleans, Mississippi, and Alabama
My prayers really go out to those of you in New Orleans, Mississippi, and Alabama. This is going to be a really bad storm. I'm so sorry for what you are about to go through and I can only wish that you and yours remain safe. At a time like this, property doesn't matter. Take care of everyone you can because you will all need it to survive this. Our hearts and prayers are with all of you, from my family.

My husband, his friends and co-workers, and many men and women, will be on their way to help you as soon as possible.
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
bekahdrmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to bekahdrmom
That's so great of you! I live in Baton Rouge, and while we're not in the desparate situation that New Orleans is in (mandatory evacuation??? that's NEVER happened that I can remember)...it's getting bad here too. But maybe that's mostly because of the people coming in from New Orleans. I filled up my gas tank this morning and the only gas left anywhere was premium. Stores were packed last night and the pickin's are really thin. My husband's actually at the store now to get a few last minute things and he's been gone for over an hour just to buy like 5 things. The interstates heading north are bumper-to-bumper. I've already worked out our evac route (on Baton Rouge surface streets) if it gets bad enough for us to leave. And every hotel all the way north to Jackson, Mississippi has NO vacancies. I'm mainly nervous because I've read some reports that say Katrina could follow the path of a hurricane 40 years ago that went straight up the Mississippi River. Or even worse...it could hit west of us!

Anyway, thanks so much for the prayers!

And on a lighter note, just to give you an idea of how devoted dh and I are to our "hobbies":

-His response when realizing the potential disaster this could be for us: "Man, I better still get my basketball cards in so I can post them on eBay!"

-My response: "I only need light enough to finish my double-knit hat!"

"The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost." -G.K. Chesterton
bekahdrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
:rofling: @ Bek

I hope it doesn't get too bad for you there in Baton Rouge. I've been watching the live feed on wwltv.com since I don't have cable tv. Please stay safe!!

Everyone else in the area, I hope you're out or on your way out right now. This is supposed to be the worst storm to ever hit the U.S. Stay safe!!
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
My thoughts and prayers, as well.

My g'son was in Florida and made it home unscathed, thankfully. The irony of it is that my daughter/his mom's name is Katrina.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

They're saying that Katrina could be the strongest storm in recorded history. My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone in her path. BE SAFE!!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I'm adding everyone down there to my "please keep them safe" list. If damage has to occur, please let it be minimal and no harm come to any people... or animals too! I wish there was something I could do up here... take care and I pray that the storm doesn't reach it's predicted path or intensity
Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
We here in NC are no strangers to the horror of hurricanes... Fran (cat 3-4 in '96) was an absolute doozy and quite devastaing to many - my family included. :crying:

I can't even imagine what this one will be like... I lived near the coast during the mid-90's and endured quite a few hurricanes and flooding... Those winds and that howling can be so scary... My heart goes out to those in the path of Katrina.

I'm hoping for the best to everyone down there... (and waiting for the raging storms and flooding as the carcass passes by here tomorrow)...

*fingers crossed*

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
bekahdrmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to bekahdrmom
Hi! It's Rebekah. Just thought I'd check in with my online family. We're okay, although things are starting to get crazy and scary here in Baton Rouge. I really want to get my family out of state. Anyway, we're out of power. It went out Monday morning, and Entergy is saying it will be some time between September 3rd and 10th that it will come back on. Fun stuff :rollseyes: It's actually miserable. Fortunately I have a VERY hospitable friend (with power) that lives right around the corner that has very graciously taken us in for the time being. Anyway, I need to get going. Just thought I'd say hi!

Oh, and as far as the knitting...no power = sweaty hands = knitting nightmare. In other words, I've hardly gotten any done :( Oh, the shame!!!

"The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost." -G.K. Chesterton
bekahdrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
I'm so glad and relieved that you and yours are safe!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote