Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Bekah...its SO good to hear from you!

And, yes, this is what Ive been worrying about for all the folks in New Orleans, too....OMG ARE THEY ABLE TO KNIT?!?!?! :rofling:
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #12
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
So glad to hear you are ok. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.. My heart just breaks seeing the news so sad... prayers for all those in need...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
Great to hear from you Bek. I have a friend on another forum who's in Baton Rouge and her power must still be out too...haven't heard from her since Monday morning. I've heard how Baton Rouge is now the largest city in LA. You said things are getting crazy and scarey there...any violence like in NO? Oh, I sure hope not. Glad you are able to stay with friends with power. Please give us another update when you can.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
bekahdrmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to bekahdrmom
WE HAVE POWER!!! (And the crowd goes wild!!!) Yes, our power went on late last night and I'm home! Even though it's been miserable, I have power and feel terrible for those who are in MUCH worse positions than we are. My first comment to DH when I found out we had power was...Maybe we can find a family to squeeze into our small 2br apartment, and the boys can sleep in our room. He said we should take it slow for now, a lot's going on. Plus we REALLY need to be careful, no matter what. We're constantly hearing police sirens, and things about robberies, gas siphoning (sp?), carjackings, etc. DH went to the store a little while ago (to restock our fridge from the things that were ruined due to the lack of power), but the boys and I stayed home because it just does not feel safe here. And we decided on a self-imposed curfew, and no leaving unless absolutely necessary even during the day. I went into work for a couple hours today (I worked a couple hours Wednesday and only again today...yet my work was SO KIND enough to pay us even though we couldn't work--no power there either) and my boss has decided to carry a gun around with him. Actually, the friends we were staying with are frantically looking for one too. And DH wants me to ask my dad if we can borrow one of his.

I don't think even the word crazy describes it. Two cities practically combined in just a few days. Crime rate is already noticeably (sp?) up. Schools are registering refugee children, so they'll be packed (even though many are already housing evacuees). Churches are packed. Traffic is ridiculous. Malls are loaded with people looking for a place to relax without heat and with some semblance of normalcy. There are NO apartment vacancies (much less hotels), NO jobs that are not being taken (even minimum wage), and those who can are buying houses (mostly two or three families pooling their money to buy something outright) FAST. Like I said before, I'm scared and I want out. Besides, it would free up a job and an apartment for someone else.

Anyway, that's just a general idea of the effects that aren't really being reported very much.

And now some good news:

Monday evening I searched frantically for a drugstore that was opened and low and behold, I found one (FYI, the first power grids that are up and running in a situation like this are the ones that have hospitals on them)! Long story short...I've got a lil Aussie bun in the oven!
:D :D

"The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost." -G.K. Chesterton
bekahdrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Oh Bek! First, I'm glad your power is back on!!! That's great news.

It sounds so dangerous there. I still haven't heard from my friend in BR on my other forum. Getting very worried. Stay safe down there, I can't imagine what it's like.

Do you have any family you can stay with outside of LA??
Old 09-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
From all the reports I've heard today, help is finally on its way. Way too late. I'm so sad for the people who are in such dire straits, and angry at the idiots who are shooting at rescue teams, for God's sake. It will be a long haul and nothing will be the same again.

You're smart to stay indoors, and hopefully the Nat'l Guard will settle things down.

And the Aussie bun--does that mean your pregnant???? Congratulations!!! Some good news among the bad. And all kinds of little things to knit!

Hang in there. It can only get better.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #17
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

I missed the whole thing about the aussie bun...you're pregnant?!?!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #18
bekahdrmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to bekahdrmom
Yes, that's what it means! I can't wait to knit the little Ugg booties! (I'm assuming it'll be a girl, but we all know what assuming does ) Either way though, I can't wait to make all the cute little things for babies that I've been wanting to find a cute little baby to adorn them.

I do have family in Utah, and I really want to go there. And DH's family in Australia is apparently getting donations and pooling funds to try and get us preferrably there, but at least out of here. We would leave now if it weren't for the fact that we have a whole legal issue with the boys' dad. We'll be working on that in the next couple days though. Prayers would be much appreciated!!!

Anyway, ttyl and thanks for the congrats!

Oh, and I feel bad that this thread has been focused on Baton Rouge (and me ). The people from and still in New Orleans are in EXTREMELY bad circumstances. Let's all pray HARD for them! And donate ANYTHING we can...think the old cliche': Every little bit helps!

"The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost." -G.K. Chesterton
bekahdrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #19
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
OMG! That's wonderful news! Congratulations!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #20
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, NO is extremely bad...I'm watching the news on NBC and fighting back tears. Breaks my heart when I see the kids especially.