Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Cables WITHOUT cable needle?
I got the book "At Knit's End - Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much" from the library and there was a little snippet in there that reeeeally interested me. She mentioned something about doing cables WITHOUT a cable needle, and that once mastered it is way faster and more efficient. But she didn't say how. Anyone know????

By the way, I HIGHLY recommend this book. It is so funny and so true. A great fun read.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
From what I understand, you're really just slipping the stitches off the needle and holding them with your thumb instead of putting them on the cable needle.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I googled and found this: http://wendyknits.net/knit/leftcable.htm
Looks simple enough, haven't tried it yet though!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
I'm thinking you just have to careful not to tug on the work too much or the sts will unwind. Personally though - I like my cable needle

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ekgheiy
I'm thinking you just have to careful not to tug on the work too much or the sts will unwind. Personally though - I like my cable needle
I agree. I like the security. I'm sure that the moment I free up those stitches, the cat will jump on my lap and all will be lost!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Ingrid
I agree. I like the security. I'm sure that the moment I free up those stitches, the cat will jump on my lap and all will be lost!
Yep And for some reason, non-knitters get extra dazzled when they see a cable needle in the mix. And let's not even mention dpn's! It just makes me feel all extra special and phenominal and stuff ... :rofling:

Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

How true, how true! Knitting on dpns dazzles the crowd!!

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I don't know if you looked at the link I gave, but it seems like the stitches that are dropped are put back onto the needle as soon as they are off, so I wouldn't think you'd need to worry too much about it unraveling. I'll have to give it a try! :thinking:
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
Julie
Instepping Out

The last cable project I did involved cotton....so I wasn't about to try it. But my next will be wool, and I'm definitely going to give it a try!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #10
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by knitqueen
I don't know if you looked at the link I gave, but it seems like the stitches that are dropped are put back onto the needle as soon as they are off, so I wouldn't think you'd need to worry too much about it unraveling. I'll have to give it a try! :thinking:
Kewl - let us know how you like it. The only reason I mention the unraveling is because when I used a cn shaped like this, my sts would fall off and unravel. Maybe it was so easy for them to unravel b/c I'm a tight knitter Anyhoo ... I use this shape now and love it because I can hook on my collar when I'm not using it.