Old 09-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Buddha_Mom
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Buddha_Mom Send a message via MSN to Buddha_Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Buddha_Mom
Ok How do i do this.??
I know how to start a new color...but im not sure about this:
"When changing colors, pick up the new color from under the dropped color to prevent holes."
And what does this mean? "Carry color not in use, loosley across the wrong side of work"[/i]
Buddha_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
MaryS
Turning the Heel

When you pick up the new color, the old color should be kind of "trapped" against the back of the work. This will loop the two colors together so you don't get holes at the color change.

Carry loosely across work: if for expample you knit four stitches with MC then four stitches with CC etc. the unused yarn is carried across the back and you'll get "strings" of unused yarn. The tension needs to be right otherwise you'll either pull the knitted fabric if you carry too tightly or have loose loops instead of strands if you carry too loosely.

If you can check out Silver's reindeer sweater in the finished objects post you can see a REALLY PROFESSIONAL example of stranding.

Silver and Ingrid are our resident experts on colorwork, so I know they'll correct me if I said anything wrong.

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Re: Ok How do i do this.??
Originally Posted by Buddha_Mom
I know how to start a new color...but im not sure about this:
"When changing colors, pick up the new color from under the dropped color to prevent holes."
And what does this mean? "Carry color not in use, loosley across the wrong side of work"[/i]
you might want to watch amy's color work videos too. I am not sure which matches better what you are doing there but i would bet that they will give you good guidance!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
When I change a color, I insert the needle to knit the stitch, hold the old color all the way over to the left with my left fingers on the back, and then knit the new color.

When you need to strand across the back, stretch the knitting out on your right needle and you should be able to avoid puckers.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote