Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
Starting NEBB
Yup, I'm actually starting the Never Ending Baby Blanket. Remember how I was making an afghan...well I changed my mind on that since I can't get rid of those gaps between the knits and purls. I'll try some other time. I took all the afghan yarn and some other yarn back to Michaels for store credit.

I bought three skeins of Homespun in the Baroque color (violets, greys, rose). Ohhh it's so pretty!!! This is what I'm using for my NEBB as my cousin is due to have a girl in a few months. I was hoping to find the pretty pink color Homespun has but they didn't have it :( That's ok though, that baby is going to have so much pink it'll be ridiculous. This will go nicely with it though.

I also bought two more skeins of Patons Divine in "Soft Earth". I'm going to make this scarf. Hat to come soon.

Wish me luck with the NEBB...at least it's a super easy pattern :D
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
I just made one of those for a friend's baby... i used Waterfall and it is GORGEOUS! I did it on a long vacation with mucho time in the car. It was great because i didn't have to count or think about it...

I had never used Homespun before and i know that some people hate it but i found it to be ok - not great, not horrible - to knit with. However the finished product is so pretty and soft... I even made a hat to go with it...

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out..

The color you chose looks so warm and lovely... i kinda like non-traditional baby stuff.. it'l be great!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Thanks hh!

I like patterns I don't have to think about too much too :D I think she'll really like this color. I've used Homespun before and have made a couple scarves. I don't mind knitting with it...sometimes there's knots but I just cut them out and join new yarn.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Kewl!! Be sure to post updates!!! And I sheepishly ask for pics too

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Has anyone made this with Homespun? I'm 1/4 way through it and it seems like I will have a lot of yarn left over. I have 3 skeins.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
TOO funny...I havent seen "NEBB" used in a LONG time! Look at ME...Im a TRENDSETTER!!

Ill have to add that to Joel's KHtionary.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

It really doesnt seem like a NEBB though. It's going along pretty quickly! I found out yesterday one of my boyfriends coworkers is finally pregnant...so I'll have to make another NEBB or a different blanket. Maybe by then I can figure out booties too.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I was still a VERY young knitter when I made that blanket.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Hi Jivewhistle..

I bought 3 skeins of HSpun for my NEBB too and thought i'd perhaps have tons left over because it seems like it knits up so quickly. However, i had a teensy problem with mine..

I did mine on 10.5 needles instead of the recommended 11 because that way i didn't have to buy new needles. I kept increasing until i had approximately 140 stitches on the needle (instead of the recommended 126) because i wanted it to be a little bigger and i was using slightly smaller needles. Those extra rows took up quite a bit of yarn, but i still think i would have been ok with 3 skeins.

However, as i was finishing out my third skein, I hit a patch within the yarn that was defective. Not a knot, but a very large section in which it seemed like some of the ply was missing. It was really thin and faint in color. I had to remove it (about 1/4 of the skein!) and buy a 4th skein to finish. (that had me slightly irritated but i figure i'll send back the defective stuff and let them know).

Anyway, i finished with LOADS left over in the 4th skein so i've made 2 hats and will probably make a baby sweater (see: LionBrand's "Bend it like Baby" pattern on LionBrand's website without the stripes. The hats are really cute and knit up easily except i don't think Hspun is good for pompoms even thought pattern calls for one.. When it unwinds it gets kinda.... icky.)...

If i had a digital camera i'd take pictures but i don't! :( Sorry!

Dunno if that helps but that was my experience

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Thanks hh,

Oh I hate it when you find something unexpected like that in a skein. I actually thought about balling up these skeins into center pull balls just to make sure. I might do that with my last two skeins.

I LOVE this color Baroque. I'll need to make myself a hat and scarf in this color too. I'm using size 11 needles. I'd like to find a baby hat where I can use this yarn too. Soooo pretty.