Old 09-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Interweave Mag Shrug: re the pattern/working in the round
Hi all! Ok, so I'm looking to do something really interesting and thought I would try the shrug in summer issue of Interweave Magazine. It's posted on their website and it's called Flower Power Shrug (by Sandi Wiseheart, Editor)
It's really really pretty.

She says it's a basic 'easy' lace that isn't too hard. The thing is, she says to cast onto a circular but not join yarn, just work back and forth. Yup got that. Then you're supposed to begin the pattern according to the chart. But she doesn't mention whether to read right to left, left to right or just right to left every row. I thought that was the case with working on circulars when you're NOT working in the round. (or is it the opposite!)
to google or not to google

Then, later whe you do the sleeves you do begin working in the round.
I think Interweave mag left this important bit out of the instructions . But maybe I really need to take a class in reading charts!

thanks for any help!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
When you're working flat whether on circs or not, you read a chart from
right to left for the front and from left to right for the back.

UNLESS its a chart that only shows the front. Some do when the back is all purl. One way to tell is if the chart is numbered. If every row is numbered, then r to l on the front and l to r on the back. If the chart is only numbered for every other row, then its all right to left.

I'm pretty sure I have this magazine. I'll go look at it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

You're such an angel Ingrid....

here's the pattern at this link coz it isn't in the magazine, just the picture is. It's a pdf file so I don't know if it'll open.

http://interweave.com/knit/interweav...structions.pdf

scroll down to page 4 and there is the chart

Old 09-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

That chart has every row on it. Read the rows with the inc/dec from right to left. The blank rows are the back. These are purled across except for the one stitch of shaping at each end.

One thing I do with these is as I work the back stitches, I read the previous row's stitches as I purl as a way of double checking the placement of the stitches.

For example, if on the first row I had a yo five stitches from the end, when I do the purl row I should be doing a purl in that yo five stitches in.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hm, sounds easy. :( No, really I'll give it a go. Going to go study it some more.... maybe even BEGIN.

I had to rip those socks btw that sock I should say. What a mess.
Everything was ok until I got to the heel. oh well, hopefully this might work for me. I appreciate that tip also! Thanks Ingrid!

Old 09-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

One point about chart reading, in case you don't know.

Post-its! Put one above the row you're working on so all that shows is that row and the rows below it. I don't think I could get beyond row three without them. Even if you cross out each row, this seems to really help you focus on the row you're doing since everything is blank above it.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

OMG Ingrid, post-its have saved my life when I work from charts (especially that Backyard Leaves one we talked through recently)! My eyes like to focus on everything BUT the row I need to work through

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Exactly! Before I learned to use them, I would copy the pattern and then try to cross out the rows I did with a colored pencil. What a pain!

I also find that using two overlapping is good so when you take one off, the other is still in the right place, so you don't accidentally move it up two rows. Don't ask me how I know this.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Oh wow, WHERE ARE MY POST ITS? Of course! What a great tip again Ingrid. This is the first time i'm working with a chart and both my dh and I said what the h... are they so SMALL for? I'm sitting there with a tiny dpn and counting each little box/stitch... this will greatly help.

Talk about not knowing charts, when I sat down to begin that shrug I almost gave up coz Icouldn't figure out why there wasn't 75 stitches in the first row. I kept looking at the boxed off pattern repeat thinking hmmm, got to be the answer there somewhere. It's not easy finding help and I have A LOT of books on how exactly to read a pattern. If Interweave Mag instructions had remarked, do the pattern repeat 12 times it would've saved me a lot of trouble. I hate math! I was ecstatically pleased with myself however when I finally did figure it out... did not want to ask you The Next Question on This Pattern! Funny how good these little knitting problems make you feel when you get it.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

It's like learning a whole new language.

IngridKH on Ravelry