Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
amers
Casting On

Need some encouragement
I now know why you all encourage newbies to try and begin a project that will be easy and quick. I am a new knitter and I honestly am proud of myself because I can actually knit and purl. Thats where it ends though. I have begun a couple of projects only to dissolve into tears of frustration. I've seen lots of newbies get on here and say how they've knitted scarves, mittens, even Sweaters. I am still working on my guage swatches.

I've tried making two scarves and somehow I ended up adding or losing stitches. Granted it was a popcorn type yarn that I think was too much for me to handle. I only got halfway through the scarf and ran out of yarn.

I bought a kit from Target to make a bag. I started knitting the swatch for the bag, and the circular needles BROKE!!! I wasn't pulling hard or anything. (It was my first time using circular needles).

Okay, so I thought, I just need to start with an even easier project (a hand towel with very basic knit and purl instructions). I now have 4 extra stitches on my needles. UGGGGHHHH!!! I've only knitted 4 rows and I'm already off.

I soooo much want this to work. Just like any new craft, I know it takes practice. I have done many little swatches figuring out how to knit, purl, do the seed stitch. etc. It works fine up until I actually try making something. And then don't even get me started on how to read a pattern. I feel like I'm learning a foreign language.

Gosh,I'm sorry to vent like this. I'm usually the one people come to for comfort. I just want to be able to knit like I sort of know what I'm doing. I want this to work. :(

If you've read this far, well, thanks for letting me vent. Normallly I'm not like this, but I'm just really sad I cannot seem to make anything yet. Sigh, I know, I know, Practice. I'll just keep plugging along.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!