Old 09-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Arlene
How to make home made cables
Hello Everyone,

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to see if they carried a cable in size 8 for my boye interchangeable set. The smallest they appear to sell is a 16 which makes a 20 circular when the points are attached. Well, while I was there they are having a half off sale that ends saturday. This includes all knitting and crocheting assessories plus books. Sooo, I bought several packages of boye connectors and my husband made me a 6, 8 and 19 inch cable. The following is his directions:

To make any size cable for a boye circular needle set, use a piece of .080 (2mm-white) trimmer line. Shave the end down to a point that will fit in the coupling (connectors). Shave about 1/2" and when you have a fit, put a drop of crazy glue on the plastic end and push it in the coupling. The threaded end is a #2-56 miniature bolt 1/2" long cut off behind the head. Screw 1/2 of the bolt in the coupling after putting a drop of crazy glue in the coupling. The length is from one coupling end to the other not including the bolt threads. It takes about 15 minutes to make one of these cables up.

Material list:
2 couplings (connectors) where boye is sold
2 #2-56 miniature bolts 1/2" long
1 piece of trimmer line to length
crazy glue

You could also buy a boye cable and cut it to length and on the bare end glue on the connector. Cut one bolt the same as above.

I tried mine and they work fine.

Take care,
Arlene from Indiana
Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Kewl!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
Very ingenious!! Now this is why I love this forum. So many ideas and helps...and knitting too!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

This is great! (by the way, what is trimmer line?)

A question....what are you using the 8" cable for?? You can't actually use just that and the needle tips, can you? I find that even with the 12" cable, plus two needle tips which makes a 20" circular, the tips are almost too long to knit properly. Are you using the 8" to make longer cables connected to others in the kit?
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitqueen
This is great! (by the way, what is trimmer line?)

A question....what are you using the 8" cable for?? You can't actually use just that and the needle tips, can you? I find that even with the 12" cable, plus two needle tips which makes a 20" circular, the tips are almost too long to knit properly. Are you using the 8" to make longer cables connected to others in the kit?
Hi Knitqueen,

Trimmer cord is the kind of cord that you use for the weed wacker. My husband had a spool of it. It is cheap and purchased at a hardware store. The reason I wanted a 6,8 and 19 inch cord is that the Denise set comes with those sizes and the Boye does not. So now I have the best of both sets in cable sizes. End to end the 8 plus points would be a 16 and I noticed that a lot of patterns call for a 16 circular. The 6 cable sure does look short to me. I have not tried anything with it yet.

I had a terrible time figuring out how to reply to a message. How is everyone doing this with out resorting to a quote?

Take care,
Arlene from Indiana
Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

BRILLIANT!!!

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

But is it actually possible to knit with the 8" cable (or shorter) when taking into consideration the length of the needle points??
Old 09-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

But is it actually possible to knit with the 8" cable (or shorter) when taking into consideration the length of the needle points??
Hi again,

Yes, because you have two needle points that are each about 4 inches. So that would be a total of 8 inches for the points plus the cable which in this case is 8 inches. So you would have a 16 inch circular. I found this to be a common size for a number of patterns.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Arlene from Indiana
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Yeah, sorry for beating this to death, but....

My point is that you've got your 2x4" needle points plus 8" of cord, that doesn't leave much (if any) leeway for being able to maneuver the needles. I know that 16" is a common length for a circular, but the needles points are shorter to allow for enough flexibility to knit. I even have trouble (or at least have to modify my knitting style) with the 12" cable + 2x4" needle points = 20" circular needle.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Yeah, sorry for beating this to death, but....

My point is that you've got your 2x4" needle points plus 8" of cord, that doesn't leave much (if any) leeway for being able to maneuver the needles. I know that 16" is a common length for a circular, but the needles points are shorter to allow for enough flexibility to knit. I even have trouble (or at least have to modify my knitting style) with the 12" cable + 2x4" needle points = 20" circular needle.
Hmmmm, I have the Boye interchangeable set and all the needle points in the set have the same length......4". I have not bought any ready made sets, so I do not know if they come in different point lengths depending on the size of the cable that is attached permanently to it. Either way, maybe that is why I have not had a problem. Meaning I just adjusted my knitting to the 4" points.

This is a guess on my part, but if we are both talking about the interchangeable set, could it be that when you are making up what the pattern calls for....say a 16" circular.....which is measured point to point, that you are not using a 16" cable and then with the length of the two points (8 more inches) you would actually be working on a 24" circular and not the 16" that the pattern suggested? The reason I ask this is because that was exactly what I had done and then could not figure out why my stitches were not reaching to the other end....finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

I feel like I am being really dense here (which I have been known to be) in not answering your question properly. I am really unsure if we are talking about the same thing.

Take care,
Arlene from Indiana