Old 09-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
dreamwatch
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to dreamwatch
Newbie with a question!
Hello!

I am currently knitting a chenille throw from a pattern by Erika Knight in the Simple Knits for Easy Living book. The pattern is fairly straightforward - you knit 4 panels, each with an alternating pattern of knit and purl squares, and then sew the 4 panels together. My question is - is there any reason why you could not knit this in one piece? I realise that it couldn't be done on straight needles, but a circular needle would accomodate it. But before I run out and buy a circular to do it I'm just wondering if there could be a design reason for making it this way, perhaps the seams help to support the throw or something. I'm terrible at seaming, I'm a fairly novice knitter, and this is a big piece of work for me which is also a Christmas pressie for my Mother in Law, so I don't want to spend all this time knitting it only to ruin it at the end with messy seams. On the other hand I do want it done properly, so if it needs to be seamed I will learn to do it!

Thanks for any answers or opinions - I only found this site last week and I'm so pleased I did. The knitting videos are brilliant!! I taught myself to knit from the internet about 2 years ago and theres nothing better than a clear instructional video - I wish I'd found this site when I started out.
dreamwatch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Welcome!

I, personally, would knit the throw in one piece. I certainly wouldn't want to seam it either. Especially chenille! My guess is that they feel it would be more manageable one panel at a time, unless there is some special decorative way they want you to seam it.

It might bet a little heavy, but for me, anything is better than all that seaming!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
dreamwatch
Casting On

HAHA - Ingrid I love you!! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. :rofling: I shall now happily purchase my circulars.

Thank you, and thanks for the very fast response.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I hang around here a lot. It gives me an excuse not to clean the house!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Actually, these are quite popular in crochet. Joining the strips together is built into the pattern in any of the afghans I've seen like this. These are usually called Mile A Minute afghans, because it seems to go much quicker when you just make several panels than to do the long back and forth rows in one piece. And, in truth, it probably does go a bit quicker because your stamina stays up and you work on it more!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
dreamwatch
Casting On

Hi Aidan - I know what you mean, the thought of knitting 200 stitches across did out me off, but the thought of all that seaming...

While I have some experienced knitters in my grasp... on a similar subject, I'm making some hats which I would like to try in the round. I've already made two, neither of which are seamed yet, but I have more to make. I've read that when knitting in the round your tension can change - I need to buy a circular needle and DPNs for this project, but should I stick with the needle size recommended in the pattern, or go smaller or larger? This is a really tough one I know, because until I actually try I'll have no idea what way my tension will turn out... but the needles are 6.00 each and I really can't afford to buy a few to try them out. If you have any opinion on this I'd love to hear.

And thank you both again for being so helpful.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

If the hats are stretchy/ribbed, I would go with the needles called for. I don't think tension changes so much that it would make a difference, especially if you're close to gauge normally.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
dreamwatch
Casting On

Thanks Ingrid. I've been searching the net to see if I can find any reference to flat patterns converterd to round - one thing I have noticed is some patterns saying that if you are knitting in the round then to omit the selvedge stitches... forgive me for asking, but what are these? I'm thinking the first and last stitches - it would make sense to get rid of these as they would usually be pulled in with a seam. Am I way off the mark here?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

That's exactly what selvedge stitches are for. So when you convert a pattern from flat to round you need to take out stitches that you would normally seam. There are about 150 gazillion free patterns for hats in the round, so you might want to just look at these. Usually for sweaters converted from flat to round, you'd take out four stitches around, one for each seam edge.

Here are some hat patterns if you're interested.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ctory/hats.php

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
dreamwatch
Casting On

Ingrid - thank you for those patterns and for your advice, you've been a great help.