Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #91
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
Steeks are very useful, if you don't like seaming. You can just knit the entire sweater in the round, cut the steeks, do a 3-needle bind off for the shoulders, pick up stitches for the sleeves and neck, and not one seam. And, you don't have to do it with just Fair Isle, I do it with any allover pattern, color or not.

What's cool to me is the neck steek, it looks all pinched in until you cut it, and then voila, you have a nice neckline. I use steeks all the time for jackets/cardigans, because you have no seams, instead of 5 different pieces to sew together, you just cut some openings.

What's weird to me is that some people don't even secure before they cut, they trust the old Shetland Wool to hold itsself together, which it does, but I still wouldn't think of doing that.
Hi Conti!

I took a 6 hours workshop about 4 years ago...it was a color workshop...the instructor is a ROWAN rep...and a MASTER Fair Isle knitter. Anyhoo, part of the workshop had us working with steeks...and she simply had us cut the steek...the two cut edges rolled to the inside (like stocking stitch does on its own)...trim off excess...and whip stitch it down on the wrong side.

I think it sounds safer to secure first...then cut...but that is not what she taught us. She said 'knitting does not unravel sideways'.
Well, it didn't unravel within the time it took us to trim the bulk of the steek away...and whip stitch it, secure it, to the underside.

I never did do anything with Steeks though. I don't Fair Isle knit. And I don't mind seaming.

I wish I was not so frustrated with Fair Isle knitting. It is the tension thing. Stranding the two colors in the back of the work is tedious & frustrating for me. If I make it look nice, it ends up being too tight and puckers the work. If I knit it looser, it looks messy, and may stay messy...but how will I know til the work is off the needles and onto the blocking board? A lotta work for nothin' if my tension is once again WONKY LOOSY GOOSY. I have knit a few things that need some colors implanted by stranding...but I avoid it like the plague because of the tension issue. Color knitting is so beautiful, but alas, I content myself with texture & cable knitting...and colorful yarns like NORO.

I don't have a problem with Intarsia though. That I can do.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 AM   #92
Braden
Instepping Out

I just knit a test swatch, and cut it without securing, and it did unravel sideways, just not as readily as vertically.

I know what you mean about the Fair Isle, it is difficult to get your tension right across a large number of stitches. And, steeks aren't just for Fair Isle, they're for anything, great for us knitters who prefer to knit sweaters in the round.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #93
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for the info, Conti! Yes, steeks are a very useful technique for many knitted items. I will follow your advice before I cut the pocket slots in my NORO Poncho!

Overall, the color knitting class was hugely helpful. It demystified a lot of the scary unknowns associated with color knitting in general. She tried to cover A-Z in just 6 hours.

The class was too large...and the knitters were too diverse in their skill levels. The "kindergartner" knitters sucked up all her time and attention. The shop that sponsored the class should have limited the size of the class and screened the knitters. It was an expensive class, but I would rather have paid more, and gotten more out of the class. The instructor was run ragged, let me tell you. I think this class had 20 knitters, 14 of which were basically beginner knitters. Sigh.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #94
Braden
Instepping Out

You're right, that class should have been limited to intermediate/advanced knitters, who would have gotten more out of it. Then, the shop could have sponsored a beginning color class, that would have been better.

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #95
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Landing this Instructor, Sandy Blue, was a BIG DEAL. This woman, you should have seen her Fair Isle work. It was incredible! She had a wealth of knowledge to impart...but alas, she got stuck showing people how to, for example, cast on and work with their slippery, metal needles on the Fair Isle sample. Sigh.

Although she is a master at knitting...I think she was a novice at teaching and controlling a class.

Anymore, I ask the LYS if they are limiting the class size. I know they will cancel a class if they don't get enough students signed up.
But, I want to know...will they limit the numbers? Usually, the answer is no. They don't usually get 20 women signed up.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #96
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Here's a video of a steek being cut on a fair isle blanket knit in the round. I swear, the sound of the scissors cutting through the fabric is like fingernails on a chalk board!

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #97
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Here's a video of a steek being cut on a fair isle blanket knit in the round. I swear, the sound of the scissors cutting through the fabric is like fingernails on a chalk board!

Hi there JGM! Thank you for the video link! When I cut my first "sample" fair isle piece...I had the same feeling! Eeeeks!! And it was a far cry from that beautiful piece of knitted ART that the Rainey Sister cut on the vidio clip!

Wasn't her knitting just absolutely gorgeous!!??

Thanks again!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #98
Braden
Instepping Out

I might be in the minority here, but the day I cut my first steek, I couldn't wait to get cutting. I had crocheted around the 3 center stitches and I was ready to get going! I still put an inch worth of stitches on hold for the steek, cast on that same number, and then crochet around the center 3 stitches, then cut. No worries. It won't unravel, it's very secure. Steeking is my all time favorite knitting technique.

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #99
TxCynDoll
Ribbing the Cuff

I have a question...can you steek with any kind of yarn?
Thanks...

I didn't know what it was until I read all of this, and I remember the first sweather I made, for my husband about 17 yrs. ago and I was just a begainner and don't like the way it look with the seams...I would love to try it and I can't afford the pricey yarns...
TxCynDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #100
Braden
Instepping Out

Sure! I steek almost every sweater I make. Almost. I'll find any way to make a sweater without seams.

BradenCS on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
TxCynDoll (07-28-2007)