Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #101
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
You can do it with any kind of yarn, but acrylic might be more apt to unravel than animal fibers.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #102
TxCynDoll
Ribbing the Cuff

Great...now all I have to do is practice and see what happens...If I follow what you posted at the begaining of this post...with adding extra stitches, do I add what you posted? if not, how do you know how many to add?
TxCynDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #103
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You can really add as many as you want. If you're nervous about sewing and cutting, you can add more. If you're doing a Norwegian steek, you don't add any. I add for Norwegian steeks.

I did 10 with very thin yarn. As long as you have room to run rows of stitches down, or crochet the steek if you choose to go that way, it really doesn't matter. You do, however, knit them every round, so you don't want to add too many.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
TxCynDoll (07-28-2007)
Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #104
Braden
Instepping Out

I usually always do an 8 stitch steek. If it's a slippery yarn, like a wool/cotton blend, I crochet it. If it's a grabby all wool, I use an unreinforced steek. I heard that some knitters actually use 2 stitch steeks to cut down on time and waste.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #105
zingis2000
Casting On

Amazing! Boy are you brave. Keep the pictures coming. Your sweater is beautiful. Happy Knitting...
Linda
Old 08-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #106
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

i really don't know what to say...
you are knitting-genious, ingrid...thanks
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #107
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Ingrid and ContiKnitter,

I want to try a steek. Eek! It's a little scary but sounds like such a good thing to know. I have owned EZ's Knitting Without Tears for years, she talks a little about steeking in there, but it mostly sounded to me like she didn't really knit a steek, she just used about 3 stitches and machine sewed and cut to put in sleeves.

Ingrid your information right here about steeking is the best I have found so far, but I still have a couple of questions.

Do either of you have a blog or anything that goes into even more detail about this technique? Ingrid, you said one place that you pick up stitches along the first row of the regular knitting at the edge of the steek, for instance at the sleeve. You don't do anything with the steek part after that? EZ didn't really knit a steek, she just "cut a steek", I guess you'd call it. Then she said she whip stitched over the edges. I don't really know what all this looks like at this point so I'm unclear here. There is nothing that can come undone after you pick up stitches and do sleeve or neck? Can you cut the steek off near the picked up stitches? Ingrid, you said you didn't sew yours down? Does it really need to be 10 stitches wide or can they be more like EZs?

Ingrid, on the neck of your sweater all the "shaping" you did was to leave some stitches on a holder at the beginning of the where you wanted the neck? The rest of it just sort of happens magically. In one of ArtLady's posts she said she saw a lady on a cruise ship doing a vest that she was going to steek, and mentioned that she "shaped the neck". Is there a way to shape a neck AND do a steek? I'm thinking of making cardigans, how does the neck shaping work on a cardigan that is steeked up the middle?

I better stop for now and see what your answers are up to now. I'm very grateful for the chance to ask questions of someone who has actually done these. Thank you both for your willingness to share and help people learn new things. MerigoldinWA
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #108
Ingrid
Mod Squad

OK, let's see.

EZ may not have knit a steek. I don't have the fearlessness of EZ, so I knit steeks. I am making a sweater now where I'll have to sew and cut without a steek since I didn't know where to start it--the sleeves are knit separately and then you cut for them to fit. I'll take pictures of that potential fiasco.

I like having the security of the knitted steek since I don't have a whole lot of confidence with the sewing machine--the steek stitches give me a little leeway.

I don't sew down my steek edges. They just kind of lay there with the machine stitching still in place. I don't see how they could unravel after picking up the sleeves, and I have had no problem with them. I'll take a picture and show you what it looks like. It might be neater to sew down the edges, but I'm not all that particular how my sweaters look on the inside. I don't really like to sew for appearance, so I don't.

The way you shape a neck with steek stitches in place is to put the center stitches on a holder, then cast on the steek stitches above it. The shaping is done on the outside edges of the steek. So when you decrease, you do it outside the steek and edge stitches. The steek stays the same size, but the stitches of the sweater on the outside of the steek go down in number.

I'm in the process of making a cardigan, and I have cut the steek up the front (I just have to finish the bottom of the sleeves--it's been waiting since last summer.) I just looked at it, and the neck shaping was done the same way. Keep the steek as is and decrease on the outside edges of it.

I hope that answers your questions so far, and I will get some pictures of the insides where the steek stitches are for the arms and neck.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #109
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I tried to get some pictures of the steek on the inside of the sweater as it lays and what's left of the neck steek. There's another little tab on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	neck steek remains.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	42425  Click image for larger version

Name:	steek stitches.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	42426  Click image for larger version

Name:	steek laying flat.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	42427  

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #110
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanks Ingrid. I think I get the first part now. I can knit a steek or not. And I can sew the edges down or not. Probably EZs way of making the non-steek, steek has more need of being sewn down than yours does.

Quote:
The way you shape a neck with steek stitches in place is to put the center stitches on a holder, then cast on the steek stitches above it. The shaping is done on the outside edges of the steek. So when you decrease, you do it outside the steek and edge stitches. The steek stays the same size, but the stitches of the sweater on the outside of the steek go down in number.
The part quoted still isn't clear to me yet. You don't decrease any in the steek itself, just keep it going, say in 10 stitches. Got that.
Quote:
So when you decrease, you do it outside the steek and edge stitches.
On this part, I get outside the steek, but not 100% on the "outside the edge stitches". Do you mean that before and after the steek stitches you leave one stitch (or more, how many?)on each side, just in from the steek, to be an edge stitch and decrease inside that? If so what happens to the edge stitch? Is that where you pick up the neck stitches? I'm trying to picture how decreasing at those points works. Usually I'm out on the edges and I lose stitches on each side, kind of like taking little bites off the neck edge. When I try to picture that in a tube of circular knitting I get a bit flummoxed.

You do, say K2tog on one side and SSK on the other and the edge stitches, no little bites really appear but it is shaping the neck anyway? Is that it? You can't end up with little spaces like I picture along the necks of a regular cardigan. There are no spaces, right?

Sometimes on necks they have you bind off 2 or three at the beginning of several rows. Do you just avoid that sort of shaping and depend on K2tog, SSK type shapings instead? Or is is possible to do the bind offs somehow? Seems like that would lead to holes and wouldn't work.

I appreciated the pictures of the inside of your sweaters. Thanks for showing them, they are helpful.

Do you do the same size of a steek for the sleeves as you do for the opening in the front for a cardigan? Thank you, thank you. Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote