Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #121
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Ingrid,

I've been working on my 0-3 month size baby sweater with a steek for the front opening so I can make a cardigan and with armhole steeks. I made 10 stitch steeks in each place. The two colors I am working with are bamboo (green) and pink. I decided to keep pink on each side edge of each steek and alternated the rest green and pink. I finished all the knitting yesterday and was ready to sew and cut. I read everything here again and then went to Eunny Jang's blog site where she has a lot about different ways to do steeks. I was going to sew with the sewing machine, but chickened out because I was afraid of foot pressure issues and other unknowns. I decided to try EJ's idea for a hand-sewn steek. I did one of the sleeve steeks so far and cut it. Success so far. I want to cut them one at a time as I am ready to pick up to take care of them so they don't have a chance to think about unraveling.

I have been working on picking up stitches around the sleeve. I want to pick up 44 stitches because 44 will work with my pattern stitch which is a multiple of 11. (It just occurred to me as I typed this that I could go with 55, and maybe that would be better. I had 44 so stuck in my mind that I couldn't think beyond that. ). Anyway I have more like 58 stitches that would like to be picked up, that includes the 5 I had at the armhole. My question is, "Do I need to pick up each stitch around so that they can't go anywhere, or is it allowable to skip stitches as you pick up the stitches around the sleeve?"

Another thing that I have been pondering is doing the pattern stitch down the sleeve rather than up the body as I did. I'm thinking I just start at the top of the chart and work down instead of up as usual. Is that right thinking?

I look forward to an answer, because I don't want to go off have cocked at this point. I will not proceed until I find out if it is okay to skip stitches or not. Then I will need to decide if I want to go with 44 or 55.

How is your project coming? Thanks for your help. Merigold

P.S. I'm using Brown Sheep, Nature Spun, sport weight weight wool for this project. I only have one skein each of the green and pink and I have a skein of white. So to try to stretch this yarn for a sweater I'm doing all the bands in white. Just thought I'd tell you, in case you wondered.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #122
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
You can skip stitches for the armholes. They won't go anywhere. If you're not comfortable with that, you can pick up every one and decrease on the next round--especially if you go with the 55 out of 58 stitches.

When I knit patterned sleeves from the top down, I just flip the chart upside down and work that way. I'm so used to reading from the bottom up that I don't know if I'd like top-down charts. I'd probably get confused.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #123
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Ingrid,

Thanks for the quick reply. I went and looked at a few things and then refreshed the page and "presto" Ingrid was the last one to post on the steek sticky. That was really fast. Now I can get back to my knitting. Good idea about flipping the chart upside down. Will do. Over and out. Merigold
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #124
bic
Casting On

Steeking to Shorten a Knitted Garmet
Hi:
I am wanting to shorten a knitted sweater about 5 inches from the bottom, to fit someone else. I am contemplating steeking but do not know how to do this to shorten a garment. Most steeking directions are for making sleeves out of tubes. Anyone?
bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #125
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I don't think steeking is the best way to shorten a sweater.

I think your best bet is to put in a lifeline, or destination row, where you thread a piece of yarn through a row of stitches just above where you want to shorten the sweater to. Then you can cut off the extra and bind off the live stitches again, or add ribbing, or whatever the style is.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #126
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

Excuse me if you have covered this issue before in this somehwat lengthy thread, but I'm wondering if it is only wool, and indeed if it's only certain types of wool which are "steekable".

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #127
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Mrs. Davis,

This was covered before; look at posts number 99 and 100 and maybe a few after that. Braden (formerly Contiknitter) says he uses it all the time on all sorts of yarn. I have heard that wool tends to stick to itself better than other yarns and is therefore a better candidate for steeks, that is why I chose it for my first attempt at steeking, but most any normal type of yarn will work I guess. I think it might be going to far to say every yarn will work well, considering some of the weird stuff that is out there. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
MrsDavis3 (10-22-2007)
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #128
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

So the type of yarn you are using determines what kind of steek you can use. T or F
What about if the yarn is machine washable, and the garment will certainly be washed in the machine? Would that make it inadvisable to steek?

How about DB cashmerino DK? Would machine stitching be necessary? Crocheted steek would work?

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #129
Ingrid
Mod Squad

As long as the steek is secure, then it shouldn't come undone. In the olden days, they didn't secure the steeks because the wool felted. But I've used steeks for the armholes of a sweater made with superwash wool and it's held fine. I machine stitched it. I have every faith that crocheted would hold, too.

IngridKH on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
MrsDavis3 (10-23-2007)
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #130
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
How do you know how many stitches to place on a holder? And how to you know how many stitches wide to make the steek?
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote