Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #151
SnowWhite
Casting On

Wow, thanks for the pictures.* Now my question is, how do you finish the cut edge of the steek?* Mine looks pretty frayed.SnowWhite
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #152
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You're supposed sew the edges down along the inside. I don't, mainly because I'm lazy. I just have left the frayed ends and they eventually felt to themselves.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #153
nancyinItasca
Casting On

I'm marvelling at this, but I will play dumb for a while. Is there a literal translation for the word "Steeked"?
nancyinItasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #154
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I have read every post in this subject. I am amzed that any one could cut their knitted garment and put a sleeve where a set of "waste stitches" was knitted. I can now knit a sweater for my son and having it fit him. He is a very small petite young man that can wear the sizes a young teen would wear but the clothes are not always appropriate for an adult since my son is 32 years old.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #155
Marria
Working the Gusset

I've been thinking about steeks a lot lately. (Yes, I know this is probably a bad sign). I have wanted to give them a try, but I have to difficulties (and one of them is not cutting into my knitting actually).

First, I can't wear sweaters made of the kind of wool that sticks to itself, even over another shirt. I am very sensitive to some kinds of wool, particularly those with 'sticky' fibers that kind of tend to stick out and be fuzzy. And if I'm going to make a sweater with steeks in it, it's going to be for me, by heck!

The second issue is that I don't own a sewing machine, and have no plans to get one right away although I'd like to. I just don't have the room right now.

So, my question is, what would be the best method for reinforcing steeks by hand on a sweater knit from a smoother wool that won't stick to itself?

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #156
KnitTogether
1st Leg of the Journey

(I admit, I have not read all 155 posts...) but wanted to mention that I have a block when it comes to sewing machines, so never tried a steek until I read in an old knitter's magazine about the crocheted steek. This means no sewing machine involved!

Naturally, I tried it on a swatch first, and I have to say, it totally changed my mind about the feasibility of doing a steek for someone like me who was not real handy with a machine or needle/thread. I was successful on the first try.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/0...es_part_i.html

http://www.exit109.com/~lsyoung/knit...et_steeks.html

http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/20...-steek_24.html
KnitTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnitTogether For This Useful Post:
Marria (01-24-2009), wezyus (02-04-2009)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #157
New2knitten
Casting On

Ingrid-
Amazing, it is just beautiful. Maybe, I will get there someday. I just completed a hooded sweater for my grandson. I followed the pattern, but the neck opening is not big enough for it to slide easily over his head. Is there a way to cut it since I did not make a steek? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks
New2knitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #158
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
With Norwegian steeks, they don't add extra stitches. They secure two rows, one on each side of where they want to cut. I'm sure you could do the same with the sweater. Sew down each side of the center and across the bottom of where you want to cut, and hold your breath and go for it. It will leave a jagged edge, but you could pick up stitches along it and finish it off so it looks neater.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
New2knitten (03-28-2009)
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #159
New2knitten
Casting On

Thank you! I will have to build up my courage. Thank you for your quick reply. I think I'm going to LOVE this site!
New2knitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #160
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I just found this perfect project to try steeking for the first time.It's relatively small so the initial pain/trauma/fear of cutting into the work should be significantly less than with a sweater.

It's a plushie from the video game Portal and can be found here.

This along with cake will be my Valentine's gift to my bf.The cake is a joke from the game; your entire motivation for finishing it is the promise of cake, but at the end the cake turns out to be a lie.This is where that saying "the cake is a lie" originated XD
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote