Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #171
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
That would have been horrible!!!

I've never done it, but I read that someone puts tissue (the wrapping kind) under the knitting so it doesn't get stuck on the bottom.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #172
jenny433
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
STOP! Before you get all goo-goo eyed. Just know that I forgot to shape the back neck. Too late now! So perfection is not mine. :rollseyes:

I don't need kudos. I just wanted everyone to see that you don't burst into flame if you cut knitting! :rofling:
I had to look away when I saw those scissors so close to the knitting. I was feeling a little wooooozzzzyyy!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #173
twostrands
Casting On

Ingrid, I think your sweater is just lovely! I'm a big fan of machine-sewn steeks, but I know lots of folks share your hesitation about them. I did, too, until a friend showed me the ropes. So, I thought I'd mention a few favorite points of mine, in the interest of spreading some steek-love:

#1 Machine steeks are always less bulky than crocheted steeks. Who needs extra bulk?!?!?
#2 As you mentioned, crocheted steeks are really safe only on very sticky wool (read: Shetland wool). But,
machine steeks can be beautiful - and extra secure - on anything, including Shetland wool.
#4 You don't have to be a phenomenal machine sewer to get a phenomenal machine-reinforced steek. In fact, you can be quite the novice and still get a fine result! Use two lines of small, straight (as in not zig-zag) stitches (like Ingrid - good girl!) and as long as you keep them away from the actual body stitches, it won't matter if you're a bit wobbly - they'll never show.
#4 Use common scotch tape to tame loose yarn ends (on the WS) so that they don't snag in your machine.
#5 Put cardboard between the layers for worry-free cutting.
#6 Relax - it's fun!
twostrands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twostrands For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #174
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Oooh, I love the idea of scotch tape!! I've always worried about catching the yarn on the foot of the sewing machine. Thanks!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #175
qtip
Casting On

thanks and a question
I wish I had found this a long time ago. I have successfully steeked the arms and neck and front (this is a cardigan) I have not cut the front steek since I want to put it on a wooly board for blocking before I cut it and put in the front button hole and button edges. My question is this: what is the proper way to tack the cut steek edges? I saw it somewhere, but now that I need it I can't find the directions. This is my first fair isle cardigan. Thank you for the nice clear pictures and explanation of steeking. It does take nerve to put sissors to yarn!
qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #176
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I didn't tack down the edges of the cut steeks, since they were stitched, I used shetland wool, and I'm lazy. They've stayed put, even with the cardigan I made.

If you want to sew them down, though, a simple whip stitch would do it.

Make sure to post a picture!

IngridKH on Ravelry