Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #81
Tutu Carol
1st Leg of the Journey

Absolutely beautiful.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #82
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi Ingrid!

Quick question for ya! Based on the principle of the STEEK....that knitting doesn't ravel sideways....could I slice (cut) some "armholes" in a poncho that I recently added a lot of length to?

History: I knit a poncho according to pattern...it fit perfectly...but...I decided I want to use it up in the high mountains for a lonnnnng poncho (warmth for my keister and thighs!) It is not "fashionable looking" now...but it will get the job done!

However, the added length makes no allowance for my arms!

Can I "slice" two armholes...and then just crab-stitch over the naked edges? I think the "sliced edges" will roll inward...the poncho is stocking stitch. The patten is the classic "cast on so-and-so stitches...place two stitch markers midway to mark the center front and center back....decrease 1 st each side of the two stitch markers until....etc. etc.

The yarn is NORO "Iro"...expensive yarn. I don't want to start poncho "surgery" without an expert's "second opinion"!

What do you say?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #83
Braden
Instepping Out

ArtLady- I'm not Ingrid, but I do know that knitting does unravel sideways, but not as readily as vertically. I always do a crochet stitch before I cut, but, you can do the crab stitch around the cut edge, just be sure to pull it very tightly, so the stitches won't slip past it and unravel.

If it's a very slippery yarn, or not all wool (or other animal fiber), than you'd probably be better off machine stitching or crocheting the steek (with wool). I don't like to steek if it's not a 100% animal fiber, but, that's just me. But, be sure to do your securing very tightly, for crocheting steeks, I use embroidery floss and a steel 7 crochet hook.

I hope that helps!

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (06-29-2007)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #84
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
What he said.

Seriously, I use my sewing machine for steeks--I'm too lazy to do crocheted steeks. I believe www.schoolhousepress.com has directions for crocheted steeks.

The bottom line is to secure before you cut. Iro will stick to itself pretty well, but without those extra steek stitches you'd lose some of the knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (06-29-2007)
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #85
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks ContiKnitter and Ingrid! I would have sliced then secured...so...I appreciate the words-to-the-wise! Secure first...then slice!

When I get done, I will post a photo! Thanks again!

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #86
Braden
Instepping Out

If you want to be extra secure, you can secure, cut, and then crochet/crab stitch. Then you can be absolutely certain that it won't unravel.

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #87
Sahara
Casting On

I am totally overwhelmed by your courage and talent! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a steek. But then I'm a newby and am learning as I go. Your sweater is beautiful. I'd like to do someting like that, but I have a long way to go before I even consider it. I also copied your directions for later use. Maybe one day. . .
- Sahara
Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #88
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Thanks! I didn't know what a steek was until I found sweaters that I really, really wanted to knit. So what the heck. It's been done for generations, why not me, too?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #89
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I met a Boston (a doctor) knitter on an Alaskan Knitters Cruise back on 2004.
She was knitting a button-up vest using NORO Silk Garden. She wanted the "striping" to match all the way around...and those of you who use Silk Garden know that is a challenge. The fronts stripe wider than the back because of half the stitches are present for the Fronts than the Back. The Back has narrower, more prominent stripes.

Here is what she was doing on the cruise...she knit the vest "in the round"...using Steeks up the middle of the would-be two fronts and steeks for the armhole areas. She did all the usual neckline shaping.

When she was done, she cut the sweater up the middle of the front steek...and the armhole steeks...and VOILA...the sweater vest appeared!

It didn't look like much "in the works"...but after the cutting...it popped into shape for the V-neckline decreases!

I think it would have been easier to simply manipulate the colors to make the striping match...however, she was a steek queen...and she preferred doing it that way!

That is a surgeon for ya! Not afraid to make that first cut!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #90
Braden
Instepping Out

Steeks are very useful, if you don't like seaming. You can just knit the entire sweater in the round, cut the steeks, do a 3-needle bind off for the shoulders, pick up stitches for the sleeves and neck, and not one seam. And, you don't have to do it with just Fair Isle, I do it with any allover pattern, color or not.

What's cool to me is the neck steek, it looks all pinched in until you cut it, and then voila, you have a nice neckline. I use steeks all the time for jackets/cardigans, because you have no seams, instead of 5 different pieces to sew together, you just cut some openings.

What's weird to me is that some people don't even secure before they cut, they trust the old Shetland Wool to hold itsself together, which it does, but I still wouldn't think of doing that.

BradenCS on Ravelry