Old 09-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #21
margie
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by feministmama
There are worse things to spend $200 on. Like crack.

I just said the same thing to my husband the other night!! He is very nice about my "habit"- he will joke about it with me, but he loves the fact that I'm having so much fun with this. HIS hobby is glassblowing, with is a lot more expensive than knitting, so he knows he doesn't have a whole lot of room to talk!!
margie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #22
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
OK.... there is no way I'm going to leave this one alone.

Seeing as my wife was crocheting LONG before I started knitting, I've been in a very similar situation. My wife has spent HUGE amounts of money on yarn, etc before. The only issue I would have had about your whole issue, is the actual lie.

Unless you are so strapped that you needed to use the $200 for bills, food ,etc, never did I go ballistic on my wife for spending that much at one time (and she has done it) on yarn. I teased her a little and only asked that she not buy yarn for at least a little while after the large purchases.

At this stage, the best I can say to this, is don't do it again (the lie that is). It sounds like you are remorseful about the issue. And for your own sake, hold off on buying more yarn for a while.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #23
smiley
Casting On

Yes, I have lied about how much the yarn cost. If it cost $100, I'll say $50.

I do pretty good though, as I have a plan for each and every skein of yarn in my stash.

Now I've started my girls on knitting and hubby just shakes his head. After all, he buys more crap for his motorcycle than I knew existed !!

I also rarely buy unless on sale. I ran across the coolest yarn the other day at 50% off ! I bought 10 skeins and I'm almost finished with the sweater, I so love knitting with worthy yarn. It started at $16.40 a Skein........which to me is crazyiness ---------- unless 50% off ! :XX:
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
I agree with Joel, here. I'd be more ticked about the lie than the dollar amount. I say come clean and apologize for the lie.
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #25
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KellyK
My DH would be MUCH more upset that I loaned someone 200 bucks!
That's what I was thinking too.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #26
MrsBear87
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting Lies
This reminds me of something I did years ago -

We had been married only a few months when this happened. My huband is disabled, and had never owned a new vehicle. Our old van was in shambles, and we'd gone into debt to buy a brand new one. Ilsa, as we named her, was (and still is!) a white, 1991 VW Vanagon. She was the "other woman" in DH's life. Words cannot describe how he loved her.

About a month after we got her, I was in a parking garage and scraped her rear quarter panel against a pipe. It looked pretty bad. I was in tears, and did not want to diminish my state of perfect wife with the new status of Ilsa Cruncher.

So, I told a lie. I said that when I came back after running my errand, someone had dinged her. The insurance paid for the repairs, and life went on. But for 17 years, I felt like a liar. So, this year, I confessed. I tearfully told my tale of shame.

Blair's reaction? "Oh, honey, I guessed what happened. Don't ever be afraid to come to me and tell me the truth."

So, I would come clean. We are so often ashamed of being not perfect, or of being selfish, or whatever - but if your hubby is the guy he sounds like, he will not be mad at you or at the lie. He may not understand why you lied, but my guess is he will. We all have sides of ourself that we wish to hide. Yours is Yarn Lust. Well, you are in good company! Of all the things you could be guilty of, this is a small, small thing.

Krishnamurti

http://www.mrsbearswoods.blogspot.com
http://www.bearwoodsknitting.com
MrsBear87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #27
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Re: Knitting Lies
Originally Posted by MrsBear87
It is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I *love* this quote!!!

And, I agree with those of you who say to fess up. If you have plans for all the yarn, then explain what the plans are. You could even offer to return the skeins that you can't use right away, and then buy them again when you actually need them.

Just seeing what your plans are -- are they gifts? Clothes for yourself? Some stuff for him? Whatever -- could be justification enough for the purchase.

And, like a lot of people here said, I would be more worried that my spouse was lying to me than what they were spending on something. I think I would wonder what else they had lied to me about.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #28
Knitwise
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Knitwise
Tell him your friend paid you back with YARN! *open chest* hehehe I know, I'm sooo evil.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
Knitwise
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Knitwise
All kidding aside, really you should tell him. My fiance is really good, I just tell him when I'm buying hobby products and he says sure. I hope he would tell me if he spent $200 on a bowling ball. =) I wouldn't mind if he did.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:00 AM   #30
aprildavis99
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to aprildavis99
I got busted today...again.

I had ordered the novel Eragon. I love fantasy stories. Anyway, it arrived while my husband was at home. He knows I love to read and knit and crochet, and these things don't bother him. But I still had a hard time telling him what was in the box and looking him straight in the eye.

What causes this feeling of guilt!?! Especially when we know our spouses accept our hobbies.

lets say it together:

"WE ARE KNITTERS, AND PROUD OF IT...now hand me that ball of yarn!"