Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
ausmakaiva
Ribbing the Cuff

so i didn't check my gauge....

I am in the process of making a baby blanket that requires 9 balls of karabella aurora 8 using size 7 needles. The blanket should measure 36" by 36". Currently the blanket measures 30" by 5 3/4", and I have knit 56 rows with 2 balls.

There are 254 rows in the blanket pattern. At this rate I am thinking that I will need 10 balls instead of 9 to complete the project (that is one thing I did right, buy an extra ball), however I am questioning if that will suffice?

The pattern gauge requires 4 stitches per inch, I am knitting 5 per inch - how to compensate for this screw up?
ausmakaiva is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
My first thought is that it's a baby blanket, so size isn't as big an issue as a garment.

At this point, there isn't anything you can do to change what's on you needles. If you wanted to start over to try for gauge, you'd need to use a larger needle.

If you just continue as you're going, your blanket will be 30 x about 33ish using the extra ball.

Another option is to continue as you're going and if you want it wider, you could pick up stitches along the edge and add a border, but that is a lot of stitches to pick up!

It's totally up to you and what you want your blanket to end up as.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
ausmakaiva
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Ingrid
My first thought is that it's a baby blanket, so size isn't as big an issue as a garment.

At this point, there isn't anything you can do to change what's on you needles. If you wanted to start over to try for gauge, you'd need to use a larger needle.

If you just continue as you're going, your blanket will be 30 x about 33ish using the extra ball.

Another option is to continue as you're going and if you want it wider, you could pick up stitches along the edge and add a border, but that is a lot of stitches to pick up!

It's totally up to you and what you want your blanket to end up as.
Yes, i dont really care about the size...

My main concern is that it contains symetrical patterns that I would like to complete, and although I think the 10th ball will suffice, I am not 100% sure. What I could do is subtract one "repeat 11 times" pattern in the middle (11 rows), but I don't know if that is necessary. The pattern includes a 20 stitch garter border, so coming up short in the end would look a little funny.

So I learned my "make sure to check your gauge!" lesson the hard way :(
Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Maybe when you get to that middle repeat, you'll have an idea of how much yarn you used up to that point and can figure out if you'll have enough for the border in the end. Or you can buy more yarn. Terrible thing to suggest, I know! So painful. :rofling:

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
ausmakaiva
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Maybe when you get to that middle repeat, you'll have an idea of how much yarn you used up to that point and can figure out if you'll have enough for the border in the end. Or you can buy more yarn. Terrible thing to suggest, I know! So painful. :rofling:
That's what I plan to do because based on current calculations, it's a little unclear to me what I need. I was wondering if there was some type of calculation that could help me figure it out at this point in time...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Unfortunately, the way I handle possible yarn shortages is to buy WAY more than I need! You could just get closer to the end and guestimate. I don't know if there is a formula. I suppose you could finish your next ball and then do an approximate ratio ie, 3 balls= x, therefore 9 balls = 3x.

If you have to get extra, you could always make a hat or something with the leftovers.

IngridKH on Ravelry