Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I love to crochet. I knit and crochet, but crochet is where my heart is. Often I find myself reaching for a hook even when I've got my needles in hand, because there are so many things that I find knitting to be insufficient for. I'm sure that there's ways to do them, but being new to knitting I don't know them. So instead I just use my hooks. I even invented a crochet bind-off recently, because I couldn't find a bind off of any kind that I liked.

I knit because it has a better drape than crochet, and frankly all the crocheted sweaters I've seen are hideous. Stitches and yarns that I find entrancing anywhere else become an ugly mess in sweaters to me. However, I'm finding a SEVERE lack of projects with good fit in knit as well! So, I've just decided I'll have to design my own and bone up on the construction and shaping of knitted garments.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

I also crochet, but it has to be a really awesome crochet pattern to tear me away from knitting.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
margie
Instepping Out

my mom does the most beautiful crochet I've ever seen- but she is left handed, and I was never able to learn from her. I did try crochet on my own, and it was okay, although I probably didn't give it a long enough try. I found that I really prefer knitting- something about it that I find soothing.........
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #14
javede
Knitting the Flap

I learned to crochet way befor I learned to knit, cause my mum couldn't remember how to knit and like to crocheted more(eventhough she never made anything when I was younger).

I never crocheted more than a few doll clothes and scarves. Now, that I knit I feel like I understand crocheting more, you know. Like where to insert the hook and how to keep away from adding stitches.

At the moment I'm filet crocheting a tablecloth, but it's quite boring in my opinion. Once you get the hang of it it's just full and empty squares. But the end result will look great so I keep going(will also be a gift for my mum).

My mum is crocheting a blanket out of a gazillion(her word ) squares. And for her it is faster than knitting, but than she's a pretty slow knitter.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:33 AM   #15
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
I would love to learn how to crochet...only because I know it'd be real handy for edges and baby blankets. Any chance Amy will get a couple crochet vids here soon? :D
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #16
kimmie
Turning the Heel

I can crochet, but generally chose not to. I like that it's fairly easy and if your hook falls out and things start to unravel, it doesn't much matter. On the other hand, knitting is my passion. I love the way knitted objects look and how happy I feel when I knit. The same is not true when I crochet.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #17
~Em~
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to ~Em~ Send a message via MSN to ~Em~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Em~
I've been crocheting for thirteen years but knitting for about... six months or so. Crocheting is what I'm really good at, but I'm slowly picking up the knitting. Crocheting can make absolutely gorgeous afghans, that's why i do it!
~Em~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #18
InterNette
Turning the Heel

I crocheted but always longed to learn how to knit and I like knitting better. My SIL was a real snob for her daughter I made a hat and sweater and took a class to make sure it was perfect, she it turned out knits and didnt like it because it was crocheted. Heres the kicker, turns out she knows how to make one knitted sweater pattern only and she must have made a dozen for the baby but couldnt make anything else or even make it larger, so her knitting days were over the first year lol.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #19
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I always feel irked when I hear stories about people being snobby towards crochet.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #20
foothills
Turning the Heel

A co-worker taught me how to crochet an afghan many years ago and because I had to wait for her to show me how to finish it, it would probably win Ripley's Believe It Or Not for the Largest Afghan in history because I just kept on crocheting away

My Mom has possession of it and I CANNOT for the life of me remember HOW I did it...but sure wish I could remember! I can do a chain stitch now...would like to re-learn since there are so many patterns I like that have some crochet edges, but have been too busy trying to figure out this knitting addiction I'll get around to it eventually...would be very helpful to have videos to refer to like these on our favorite website

Joyce
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote