Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
earthchick
Turning the Heel

circular needles for flat knitting?
So from people's posts on my other thread (about needles) I got all interested in trying out some Addi Turbos. When I asked if they came in straight as well as circular, 1to1 asked me if I didn't like circulars. I've actually never tried them, having not yet done a pattern that called for them. But I'm starting to get the impression that I don't have to wait for a pattern to call for them, I could just use them like regular flat needles. Is that right? Do any of you use circular needles exclusively? Can you tell me what prompted you to make that choice?

I appreciate everyone's willingingness to answer questions from a newbie like me. I love this site and I love this forum! Very friendly, helpful people!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Unless I'm making something very small, I generally use my circs as flat. One reason is that I have the turbos, another BIG reason for me is that anytime I get up from the couch, one of my straight needles escapes down into the cracks. When I'm out in public, I don't worry about dropping one, or losing one, or forgetting to take one with me from home. I have lots of straights, because I've been knitting so long and it never occurred to me to use them all the time, but I find I'm heading in that direction.

If someone is just starting out, it saves the expense of having straights and circs in all sizes.

And we love answering questions to make everyone love knitting as much as we do!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Thanks Ingrid!! I hadn't even thought about the advantage of not having to perpetually look for a missing needle. And I think I could justify the expense of some Addis if I knew I could use them for both flat knitting and knitting in the round. Do you know where the best (i.e. cheapest) place to buy them is (online, I mean)?

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I use my circs for EVERYTHING...for all the same reasons Ingy listed above. Just less cumbersome in general.

You may want to consider buying an interchangeable set instead of individual Addis.....there is a whole thread here to help you weigh the pros & cons of each brand.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Kelly and Ingrid, what size should I try? 16 inches? 24? I just have no idea what is "standard."

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
You'll need 16's for a hat. The length of the needle must be smaller than the circumfrance (sp?) of your work...otherwise the sts wont stretch around.

If you buy a set of circs, that solves your problem for ALL of your projects!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I don't have interchangeables, but I don't even think they were available when I started out. I do think they are a good idea, though. When you consider that circs come in every size and length, there is a vast array of them out there. If you want to try them out, before you buy a set, or start collecting lots of sizes, find a pattern that you like that is in the round, maybe. If you want to just try them as flat, you really can go with any length.

As Kelly said, 16 is good for hat size, I'd say 24-29 is good for adult sweater size, some people only buy really long ones and do magic loop or work with 2 dpns. (Are you overloaded yet?)

Circs are not appropriate for small diameter knitting without the loop or two dpn techniques.

When I buy Addis I usually order them from www.yarnware.com because they generally have every size and are fast. I don't know if they're any more or less expensive, but the difference would only be a dollar or two.

There there's always our http://www.taraknit.com/ who has a very good assortment of different types of needles, inexpensive.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
this is where i have bought all my addis from http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W...eNameZl3QQtZkm

i have two sets of interchangeable boyes and i love them. i got the addis because boyes don't get as small as 16". I have 4 more pairs that i want that i can't find at a price i like and i will have all the circs i need.

i started using them because that is what the lady who taught me to knit handed me. she gave me bamboo. i don't use the bamboos much anymore now except with slippery yarn. i love the longer lengths when knitting flat because i have more control over the movement it seems. but i have gotten pretty use to the smaller lengths too so whatever is comfortable for you.

i have never used any straights but for the flex shaft needles from Clover. they are great too but like was mentioned before, when i get up i tend to lose them. when i drop a needle with my circs it is still connected to my work!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
Lacedolphin
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Lacedolphin
I'm sooo glad you asked this question as I have been wondering about it myself!! I've only been knitting about a couple months or alittle more and I have made a scarf, 2 potholders, and I'm working on a book of different washclothes for my kitchen. Yesterday I lost ( and still can't find) my other size 8 straight needle so off to the store I went. They happen to be sold out of 8's and since the project was already going I couldn't change the size so I bought 8 in circs. I've found I like them alot better! :thinking: Not only if I drop one it doesn't roll away and im under the couch half the time chasing it, but they seem easier to handle ( I have small hands) and easier for me to work with. I think I'm going to have to hit Santa up for a set of interchangable ones and see what I can do with them. :rofling: After this little experiment I dont think I'll be buying anymore straights unless I really need to.
Lacedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #10
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Thanks for all the replies and great info, everyone! I'm excited to try circs and to look into interchangeable sets. Last night I was knitting with some new size 8 straights that were longer than any of my other needles. I found them soooo annoying - they kept knocking into the arms of my recliner. Kept thinking, "if only I have circs." Thanks!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project