Old 10-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Knitting4babybear--I bet you don't have a cat!!!
Actually, I do. My lover, Mush Mush. But so far I only have acrylic and he hasn't dared....

My beginner-hood is showing...

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
It's not that he hasn't dared, you know. He either hasn't bothered or hasn't noticed. Cats are cats. They know what comfortable is!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

It's not that he hasn't dared, you know. He either hasn't bothered or hasn't noticed. Cats are cats. They know what comfortable is!!
Oh God...he hasn't noticed!

No yarn sticking up out of the tops of the baskets yet, and he's 14, so he's not much for investigating things he doesn't already see...

He chases it when I knit tho, so I'm dead meat. :rollseyes:

Well, I'll find another use for the baskets then, yes?

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Either that or buy only yarn that matches his fur!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Make them part of the decor?
Originally Posted by knitting4babybear
I happen to think baskets of yarn laying around is a gorgeous cozy look, so I plan to buy large baskets (I find really cheap ones at Value City Department Store, Walmart, and on clearance at the local craft store) and display my yarn...
I second that! My prefered storage method is large baskets! I just love the look of them. Ideally I keep them organized by type and gauge, it makes starting a new project easier, and finding a specific yarn easier.

I have my baskets on high shelves around my office. There's an old thread kicking around where we talked about this, and I put up pictures. I also use a trunk for some of my yarn.

I'm currently taking a basket-making class. With the cost of big baskets, making your own is a good savings! Reed is only $6/ lb., and other supplies are not bad. If you buy 7/8" flat reed, you can make a large basket of this type (I prefer without handles) in 2-4 evenings. Dunk the whole think in chestnut dye for an antique look. www.basketweaving.com has good info and supplies.

If you buy plastic bins, be sure to avoid ones with a strong plastic smell. Those can REALLY stink up your yarn. Bleck.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I'm going to be of no help whatsoever... Mainly because my 'stash' is fairly small.

I have 5 x 7L tubs with snap on lids, and I'll be buying 5 more (they were only $5 each), DH has said that I am not allowed to buy more wool than what will fit in those 10 tubs...

He obviously has NO idea that a huge stash is essential to the obsessed knitter. :D

Hmm... maybe if I got rid of my paper craft stuff he'd be a bit more lenient.. (Plus I'd have spare drawers) LOL

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #17
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Either that or buy only yarn that matches his fur!
:rofling:

Well -we spoke too soon.

Guess who I found fast asleep in the living room basket this afternoon? That's right...the Musher.

One lives, and one learns....

Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #18
Ingrid
Mod Squad

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #19
LisaD715
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to LisaD715 Send a message via MSN to LisaD715
I have a few Longaberger baskets that my yarn looks great in!! Then I have yarn in bins, aned yarn in the clear zippered bags from new curtains and bedding, they are in my BIG yarn storage tote, the one on wheels. The underside of my coffee table houses some of my yarn and supplies (catalogs, patterns, stitch markers, etc...)too.....

KER+ Exp SPM+ Steel Syn Nov Cot Wool Lux Stash Scale Fin Flat Circ DPN KIP 3FO 3WIP X EM wannabeQ
LisaD715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #20
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Storage
I've been using the large clear plastic storage bins with lids--I wondered if wool would attract moths if it was just sitting around for any length of time?? I've been thinking of those space bags they advertise on TV that you vacuum the air out of--they'd really not take up much room. And I have some inexpensive baskets around with yarns in them--LOVE baskets for ANY reason! But one of my new favorite things I have yarn in, is just a medium-sized hatbox with Victorian style roses and pictures on it. My hubby won it at our choir retreat (it was filled with little prizes--yummy things like candles, a glass ball that has "I AM THE ROCK", 4 or 5 other things our choir director's wife bought before we had our "Hawaiin Luau" retreat last weekend! It was a hoot--we had leis given to us, ate Hawaiin foods, (am I spelling ANYTHING right???!!) , and a VERY VERY prim elderly Hawaiin dancer in a LONG dress and SOCKS--yes, socks--danced for us! Geez, I thought I was going to ...well, I DID--but just a drop or two!!!

As for my cat, Mr. Scraps, he lOVES my yarns and HATES to be "asked" to leave Mommy's lap while she's knitting, so the recipients of my knitting get a good double handful of cat hair knitted into their whatever it is I give them!! But his FAVORITE thing, his LOVE that he makes sweet love to is a polar fleece blanket made from a kit I got at Walmart on sale for $4.00 in the spring. It has the 2 pieces of fleece, then you cut out the corners and cut the selvages inward 5 inches and 1 inch or so apart. Then you knot it together--it's pretty cool, uh, WARM, actually. And my daughter-in-law, who is knit-challenged but WANTS to do something other than make the potholders she used to make as a child---really loved doing them. At least, she did AFTER I cut the 4 sides in for her. lol--Gee--I love her so much--I can't imagine having a better daughter-in-law, and I really say a prayer of thanks for her. She's really special--she's had a bunch of hard knocks in life--including almost dying of a brain aneurism (can't spell that!) at age 12!! And now that she and wonderful son have a grandson--well...it just does not get better than that! \\
-
hm...how did I get into all this stuff on a storage question???????

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote