Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Hi!
Hello, my name is Hilary-I have been knitting sporadically for a few years. I learned about 5 or 6 years ago but didn't keep it up. I taught myself the Continental style knitting from the book "Knitting in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. It looked like less effort than English style, and I was afraid to let go of the needles for even long enough to throw my yarn over, lol!

My first "big" project (not including a few dishclothes and baby booties), started at least 5 years ago, and quite possibly more, was just finished a couple weeks ago. Its a plain old vest with garter stitch borders and stockinette stitch everywhere else. Not terribly attractive, and its way too big too-but I was so proud that I actually finished it! I love the yarn color though so I may rip it out and redo it. Someday.

I am so happy to have found this site, what an incredible learning source Amy's videos are!! Thank you for them, they are wonderful!! Not to mention so many great knitters-seeing y'all's projects is a great motivator!

I am really enjoying seeing what everyone's making. I am a sewer also and I can't wait to make my own knitting needle cases. I am currently working on a sweater for my two yr old daughter, Grace. Its the baby sweater from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". I'm using a pretty lavendar baby yarn from my LYS and its making such a soft fabric :D I want to knit my DH a sweater too, but I thought I'd start small, LOL!

I already have a very bad yarn addiction...and this in addition to a *truly* massive fabric stash :rollseyes: I'm in big trouble :D but I love it!! I (not so) secretly wish I lived in a nice cold Northern climate so I could have an excuse for making a whole wardrobe of warm beautiful sweaters. On the other hand, short sleeve lightweight sweaters must be faster and cheaper, right? South Texas is not bulky sweater heaven, *sigh*

Anyway, I am really glad to have found this great place!

:XX:

happy Knitster Hilary

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome Hilary! You sound like an addict, just like the rest of us. I agree that kids' sweaters are a great way to start--all the techniques in less time.
I live in the northern climate, and love making nice wooly sweaters. I would really think twice about moving south, even though I'm really tired of snow!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
jodstr2
Instepping Out

welcome, Hilary!

you will it here!

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Welcome Hilary... glad to have you join us.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
liznwillow
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to liznwillow Send a message via Yahoo to liznwillow
Welcome Hilary! I have the Last-minute knitted gifts book too. I love it! I got it as a gift last year for Xmas. Are you doing the orange pullover with the green buttons (pictured)? I love that sweater!!! Let us know how it's going!

BTW: I really want to make the sweater on pg. 112 for me!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Mer
Working the Gusset

Hi Hilary! Welcome. Where in south Texas are you? Further south than me? I know what you mean about the climate--but you can knit tank tops year round! And you might need a sweater for 10 days out of the year. :D

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Wow, thanks for such a warm welcome!! I already luv it here :D

Liz, yes that's the one!! Isn't it cute? I've got about 4 inches knitted so far, and I started yesterday-it's going fast! Well so far-I'm really nervous about the sleeves and the placket, though! I've never gotten too far on DPN's, but I guess I gotta learn someday! I made two of the mohair and wool ribbed scarves, too, using some Rowan wool and a fluffy mohair type I had, and also one from Lions brand thick and quick plus Paton's Divine. I will try to post a pic if I can figure out how! I was going to send them to my DMIL in Montana and now I found out she's coming back to Texas! Don't know how useful they'll be now, but they are purty!

Mer, I'm in San Antonio-its actually "cool" today, at about 74 right now-I'm lovin it!

Oh, Willow is soooo adorable!! She reminds me of my DD who loves to run off with my yarn and sewing stuff :D

Hilary
Old 10-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
WELCOME! Dive on in!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Hi Hilary!! We're happy to have another knit addict here!

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
liznwillow
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to liznwillow Send a message via Yahoo to liznwillow
Hilary, I just took a trip to San Antonio in June! Whaddya know!!! My DBF has a lot of family in Texas (San Antonio, Austin, Kingsville, Houston) and we went there to bury his parents. :( Not the best reason to visit, but it was good to meet that half of the family. I'll have to let you know when we travel through there again!!