Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Uh--did you notice how many posts I have? I knew how to knit before I came here! It's just nice to 'be' around people who share the same passion and understand the need for a kazillion yards of yarn around the house. Or who don't think you're crazy when you race around looking for a small knitting project before you go to the dentist! :rofling:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
I've found I like the Red Heart Grande... it's cheap, somewhat soft and not too furry like the fun fur stuff. Plus it's machine washable... which is a big plus to me.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #13
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi babybear,

The funny thing about needle sizes, is that once you've used one size for awhile, anything else will feel odd until you adjust to it again.

In August, I was knitting baby socks on size 2 and 3 needles with fingering weight yarn and they felt "normal".

After I'd finished three pair of them, I started on some doubleknit potholders in ktichen cotton with size 5s. The needles felt HUGE for about the first 5 or 6 rows, then I got used to it. From there I went on to placemats with the same yarn on size 10s and again there was a period of adjustment for several rows, and one round of frogging.

Then I got my Knitpicks order and started on the famous CLOGS! They are on size 13 needles with a double strand of worsted weight yarn. Initially, I thought I was knitting with broomsticks!, but they soon became second nature. After three pairs of these, I picked up the size 10s with one strand of worsted again, and it felt like I was knitting with sewing needles and thread they were so tiny!

After seven or eight rows last night, I finally stopped dropping needles and yarn again. Your hands will eventually get used to it. I've been knitting for years, and I just wanted you to know that switching around feels awkward for most of us at times!

It IS a great help when your using a needle size at least somewhat appropriate for the yarn weight, but finding something that feels "right" for you is the most important, especially at the beginning!

Hang in there, and we're around if you need encouragement!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I learned on LionBrand WoolEase Thick-N-Quick and size 17 needles!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KellyK
I learned on LionBrand WoolEase Thick-N-Quick and size 17 needles!
My best project yet was one I did on the same yarn with sz 15's...

I'm sensing a pattern. I'm normal!

Joel thanks for the rec.

Mary - wonderful information! Thank you! It'll save me a trip back here when I try the 8's, and then back to 15's, and am again wondering if I'm weird. Happy knitting back! Is there another kind of kniting...I can't imagine...

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
jodstr2
Instepping Out

I couldn't use anything smaller than a size 13 until I had been knitting for 4 months. smaller needles and yarn were too frustrating for me.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by jodstr2
I couldn't use anything smaller than a size 13 until I had been knitting for 4 months. smaller needles and yarn were too frustrating for me.
Ok, good. Thanks Jodi...

I am normal. I am okay, and people like me. :rofling:

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #18
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
OK, Sally.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
OK, Sally.
:P

Old 10-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #20
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Re: Better with Bigger Needles and Bulky Yarn?
Originally Posted by knitting4babybear
Swtiched to a bulky yarn that was twirly and weird - no good.

:(
FYI for anyone that this might help, that Homespun Ingrid keeps warning us newbies about is the weird twirly yarn I mentioned.

Awful. I couldn't get ONE decent stitch in. Not one.