Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #21
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hi Susie! want to grow up to be just like me!!!! ha

Knitting is the best obsession I've had in years! I can't get enough of it, even when my wrist is hurting. By too much work (with acrylic) I meant that if you're going to sit there and put all those hours in, say for a sweater or afghan, you might as well have a beautiful wool product that feels good on the skin when you're finished. I know some people use acrylic but most crazed knitters prefer good wool or alpaca or cashmere (if you can afford it). I've also heard some knitters say they love to knit up afghans that their kids are going to beat up, they can throw them in the washer etc. But there's nothing like good wool as you'll soon find out!

It's like wearing polyester or not, which do you prefer?

Funny though, the dirt cheap acylic I bought at Michaels is actually looking quite good in my afghan, although I did as I said insert some stripes of beautiful natural white wool. I think I'll enjoy this afghan if I ever finish it. Oh, it's probably also good to practice on in the beginning....

Wow, your sister opened an alpaca yarn store? Where? I just met a lady who has alpacas and I bought one skein. It's gorgeous stuff.
Lucky you! Too bad you can't make it to Rhinebeck, NY tomorrow or Sunday for the big Wool & Sheep Festival. Thousands of knitters, millions of yarns to look at. It's out of this world.

all for now!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

P.S. I just looked at your pictures, where you live. Now that's NORTHERN new york!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #23
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
Victoise,
Yes, we are WAY UP NORTH.
I've been pretty good with this new hobby except for books. I bough five. I've only bought 2 scans of yarn. One was 65% alpaca with 35% acrylic and the other was 75% acrylic with 25% wool and yes there is a big difference. I've only bought three sets of needles. I'm doing good eh?
My 2 week anniversary is tomorrow.
Yes, my sister just opened a yarn store. She has her own alpaca farm. She has had it over a year and I've never been there. It is certainly time.
She is in West Potsdam, NY.
Thanks for all the tips,
Susie

I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #24
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Never, ever underestimate acrylic yarns. They get softer and softer all the time! I like Red Heart SuperSaver simply because it's washable and comes in a huge variety of colours. Red Heart also makes baby yarn that's delish, and even softer. SuperSaver yarn may not feel terribly great, but it does get softer as it's washed and used.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #25
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Aidan,
I think I may have seen some of that baby yarn you are writing about and it is nice.
I was wondering..............you don't have to make baby things ONLY with it right?????
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #26
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Yes. It's the law. If you knit anything with baby yarn that's not specifically to be used by a baby, it is confiscated and you have to pay a large fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #27
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Ingrid,
Well, I guess I'm not going to be able to buy yarn because of the fine for quite some time because it was calling my name for something for me.
You silly dilly,
Sus