Old 10-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Scarf suggestions...
I'm pretty new to knitting (about a month) but I'm thinking that this Christmas I'll be gifting the ladies of the family with scarves. However, my nearest LYS (relatively speaking) is about 50 miles away, so not too convenient for me to get to and "experience" a lot of different yarns. I do plan on making a trip there some time, but I'm due with my fourth baby in about 11 days! I do have a Joann's and Hobby Lobby nearby though. There is also a nearby craft store that has more than the mass-marketed brands like some Plymouth and Artful yarns, but most of those are a bit beyond my budget. What I REALLY want to do is a Knitpicks order (twist my arm ) since I want to get some of their self-patterning sock yarn to do the Simple Stripes baby sweater, so I need to get enough to get the free shipping . So anyway, I'm looking for suggestions of yarns (especially any from Knitpicks) that are:

1. At least hand washable, preferably machine washable, but don't want something that the owner might accidentially felt! LOL

2. Soft and wearable of course! I don't *think* anyone is sensitive to wool.

3. Would keep the price $10.00 for a good-sized scarf (or less), I'd probably have about 10 or so to do. Can't be doing that many $20.00 scarves! There were some scarves at the craft store made up from one skein of the $10/skein yarns, but they were pretty small.

Kristen : )
gardenmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Knitpicks....2 skeins of Suri Dream ($4 each) would make a wonderfully soft, decent sized scarf IMHO. Very fuzzy...if you're not into fuzz, Decadence is WONDERFUL, but a little more expensive. A 2-skein scarf would run you $13. And of course Panache is out of this world, so wonderfully soft!

Very few of the KP yarns are machine washable -- I think only a few of the sock yarns, and the cottons. Most wool/alpaca/etc has to be hand-washed.

On the local front....KellyK just finished a scarf in Bernat Denimstyle that she says is veeery cozy, and that yarn is quite inexpensive, and also machine washable. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. Comes in some really cool colors too. :D
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by Julie
On the local front....KellyK just finished a scarf in Bernat Denimstyle that she says is veeery cozy, and that yarn is quite inexpensive, and also machine washable. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. Comes in some really cool colors too. :D
VERY VERY soft and cozy...and that pattern is GREAT for a beginner!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Oh, yes, i did several scarves & hats with denim style last Christmas & they were big hits! Bernat also has a few other washable yarns that are yummy & soft for scarves!
I did alot of work for my granddaughter with knitpicks 'crayon' yarn. It is cotton, machine washable, but lie flat to dry. The colors are vibrant and fun!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
All my scarves were done with a skein of Fun Fur and TLC Amore as the backer yarn. Using size 15 needles cast on 10 stitches and just knit til the Fun Fur is gone. It's thin enough to use as a decorative scarf but long enough to double up in the cold weather. They're my favorite.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I'm currently doing scarves for the women I work with. Using Lion Jiffy and Imagine. Imagine has some mohair and Jiffy is an mohair-look acrylicl, but they are machine washable. I also used Lion Wool-ease for a hat and scarf for my son. I got great deals on the yarns from 1) Ebay; 2) Joann's online. The Irish hiking scarf I made for my son (pattern on free pattern page of KH) took about 2-1/2 skeins of wool-ease. I got the yarn for $1.99 per skein.

The mohair/acrylic yarns I'm using for lacier patterns albeit with larger needles and they look (if I do say so myself) sensational. They are taking approximately 2 skeins of yarn each. So, they are coming in at $10 more or less. Of course they aren't 6 foot scarves, but more ttraditional size (55 to 60 inches).

I'm looking for "cheap" cashmere for bosses' scarves. Smiley's has it for $15.99/skein. Anyone have any experience with it?
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Kelly,

Did you double up your denim style when you did your cool scarf??? (which I may hve to use that pattern for my nephew, it looks manly, eh??).....

So many inexpensive and easy to work with yarns out there for scarves....I did one out of that woolease thick and quick just in garter, and it was cute and easy- I did the SNB pattern where you use two yarns so end up with stripes....Homespun can be a PITA....Liobrand boucle makes a fun scarf.....

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Nope - just one strand. And, I used needles one size larger than what the denimstyle asked for....it turns out even softer! I tried 2 sizes up, and it was too loose. I CO 27 (?I think?) sts.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Originally Posted by KellyK
Nope - just one strand. And, I used needles one size larger than what the denimstyle asked for....it turns out even softer! I tried 2 sizes up, and it was too loose. I CO 27 (?I think?) sts.
:sunny: Morning Kelly,
I have almost finished the cable scarf that you helped me with several weeks ago. Could you tell me how you attached your fringe? (sp lol) Thanks so much!
anne
southern maine
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
knitncook
Working the Gusset

HL and Joanne's both have some lovely washable wool blends. Woolease is another option. Has just enough wool in it to make it soft and just enough acrylic to make it washable and hold its shape.

There is a lovely diamond scarf patter at http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTedgar.html Knitty.com It's called Edgar. Very cool look and it knits up really fast. Don't be intimidated by it. It's just knitting with decreases in the middle (that's what makes it do the diamonds) and then casting on at the ends to start the next diamond. I've made it in both Jewel Box (I think that is a Lion Brand yarn) as well as Joanne's all wool line that they carry and both turned out very lovely. EAch took one skein and cost around $5. I was able to knit up 9 diamond scarves in about 5 or so hours of knitting (hard to really say as I did each in 2 nights while watching Law and Order reruns on USA )

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote